Discuss am i in or not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
just priced a an extension tonight which consists of changing a cu.adding 2 smokes, 2 heat alarms, 3 points for wm/td/dw, 12 double sockets between 3 rooms. 3 fans. lighting for each consisting of flouesent fitting 4 x 6ft or pendants x 4 , two outside lights and switches and house fully tested
and a double socket outside
£1800 and they guy said he quoted £800 already/...

dont worry about it. Tel the chap to let the other person do the job as it cannot be done for that. Point out to him that you are a qualified tradesman and you will not be doing the job for nothing.

i have done few jobs recently , tho gained good experience of pricing and organising the job myself, i have made little profit so i know already to let him crack on and let humpty numpty do the electrical works.. and i wont be running round like headless chicken.. but 800 all in, he must have the materials sitting in garage and willing to donate them..

If you do get it, I would test the house first. Espically if changing a re-wireable CU to an RCD one. Then that way if anything pops up, you are one step ahead.
What about bonding etc?

Ask to see this quote for £800! Say you'll have a look at it to see if you can match it or even beat it. Pound to a penny he can't produce it!

£1800 doesn't sound ott to me considering the time wasted for 1st fix and 2nd fix, back and forward, while the builder gets his act together!

Guy probably isn't registered and will disappear before any paperwork is issued. Seen it all too often. Then the customer will want you to come in and do an EICR for LBC....

If it's anything like around here the '£800 geezer' probably quoted over the phone without even seeing plans/the job and will add extra's at the end to cover the hassle's of doing the job.

I usualy tell the 'potential' customer that if they go with the other quote to makesure they sit down before the work starts and make a list so both of them know what's being done for that price...signed by all involved. I do this in the hope that 'Mr £800' will soon run out of funds quickly stopping them doing this sort of crap.

After buying all materials £800 (bargain bucket materials) doesn't leave alot for labour cost.....maybe the guy use's an old butchers bike to save vehicle costs aswell.

Just finished a job I estimated would take 2 days. A few problems under the floorboards resulted in it taking me 2.5 days, but hey-ho, I stuck to the quote.
Other quote she got was for half a day!
Luckily the lady correctly thought this was too cheap and went with me. I can only assume that the other guy would have added extras at the end.

Reply to am i in or not in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock