Discuss Am I missing something in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i can't see anything amiss. hang on.uncertain of the labelling. which are the E-stops?

as in the upside down E's. so the e stops and start buttons are in the neutral then.

Also figure 7 looks as if it has a fused neutral! Hopefully it is really meaning an isolation link operated together with the live fuse, or a double-pole MCB.

Missed that! Although my own spelling is p-poor without the aid of the spell checker so not usually going to be the one throwing stones...

If it is for this machine from India it looks like they haven't changed the configuration from three phase to single. @darkwood would know whether the method of switching the neutral is acceptable but it could be reconfigured like this.20200412_121701.jpg

Switching the neutral is OK for lighting control circuits under 463.1.2 but no idea if there is a similar exception for other control circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switching the neutral is very bad practice as any earth fault on the wiring after the stop button means the contactor will not de-energise when the stop button is pressed and no fuse will blow as it would be a neutral earth fault.

As the schematic is shown I would definately say it is wrong, the fuses themselves FU1 represent external fusing before the DOL starter, I contacted Chint UK technical on this matter pointing out what I see as an error, he suggested/stated it was a DP breaker and thus complied but my issue was this was not integral to the DOL starter so should not be shown as such and also the symbol is not a standard representative of a MCB and in fact would suggest it was individually fused contravening our regulations.
The fuses been external and on the power supply side means this falls under the BS7671 and not the BS60204 which is a little more complex and can often be confusing with control fusing to those not familiar with control circuits.

The technical support said he would raise my concerns internally although his comment that this was a global issued schematic didn't bode well as this is a schematic supplied with the product and sold into the UK market, this means it should meet UK standards and the literature also should show compliance which in this case the literature doesn't in my opinion.

A standard practice as you may expect would be to show only the ph1 line fused and the N uninterrupted which would be the normal practice of protecting the circuit supply.

Last edited:
As the schematic is shown I would definately say it is wrong, the fuses themselves FU1 represent external fusing before the DOL starter, I contacted Chint UK technical on this matter pointing out what I see as an error, he suggested/stated it was a DP breaker and thus complied but my issue was this was not integral to the DOL starter so should not be shown as such and also the symbol is not a standard representative of a MCB and in fact would suggest it was individually fused contravening our regulations.
The fuses been external and on the power supply side means this falls under the BS7671 and not the BS60204 which is a little more complex and can often be confusing with control fusing to those not familiar with control circuits.

The technical support said he would raise my concerns internally although his comment that this was a global issued schematic didn't bode well as this is a schematic supplied with the product and sold into the UK market, this means it should meet UK standards and the literature also should show compliance which in this case the literature doesn't in my opinion.

A standard practice as you may expect would be to show only the ph1 line fused and the N uninterrupted which would be the normal practice of protecting the circuit supply.
Thanks for that information, I definitely would not connect it the wY it’s shown in their diagram.
Agree on your intake Neutral uninterrupted & not used in the control circuits,onLG fo coil 230 v,

Reply to Am I missing something in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net