Discuss am i right in thinking.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Best technique I've herd is

"Best not to own a core bit or the right drill, get the builder to do it" :)

Given I've herd some people spend 8 hours drilling through cob before it may be in the customers best interests....and mine. Think I'll pattern a compact dehumidifier that connects to the waste pipe, I'm not keen on spending hours up a ladder playing around with grills and aggressive drills

So what do you go through with first to stop the break out from the pilot drill???

Just go straight through with a core bit, why is it causing breakout, its not impacting?

I have never caused breakout with a core bit in any kind of brick- block work?

Make sure you measure well because you don't want to pop out behind the soil stack.

Also get yourself a good set of ear defenders because you ears will be ringing all day lol!

It happened to me. I was 4 floors up in an old warehouse that was being converted into luxury apartments & was core drilling a 4" hole for a boiler flue through the two foot thick sandstone wall.

I got all the way through - only to find the core bit hitting the back of a bloody great cast iron plate that was fixed to the end of a tie bar. :angry_smile::mad2:

So what do you go through with first to stop the break out from the pilot drill???

Just go straight through with a core bit, why is it causing breakout, its not impacting?

I have never caused breakout with a core bit in any kind of brick- block work?

Your just lucky then and pilot bit will only have minor blast and will be covered by the 4" hole your making, blast out is caused when you are close to breaking through and the pressure and vibration of the cutter can fracture the brick/stone which usually breaks out leaving an unsightly chipped external stone or brick work which isnt covered by the grill, correct drilling manor can reduce this but you cant predict the fractures so always best to avoid putting yourself in that position in the first place.

well to let you all know, i drilled 10mm hole through wall from inside to out, then drilled with core cutter outside too in, which took ages and not much gain, so got 20mm drill bit out and drilled maybe 10 holes within the the 110mm circle and then took the sds chisel action too it and it was far quicker. and battered the the 4inch pipe in with hammer

core drill was too slow

well to let you all know, i drilled 10mm hole through wall from inside to out, then drilled with core cutter outside too in, which took ages and not much gain, so got 20mm drill bit out and drilled maybe 10 holes within the the 110mm circle and then took the sds chisel action too it and it was far quicker. and battered the the 4inch pipe in with hammer

core drill was too slow

Oh ..... you rough ar$e you !!! :disappointed: :wink_smile:

Reply to am i right in thinking.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock