Discuss AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I will be honest i knacked my conduit up and it is worth 7 marks out of 75.

I knew i was running out of time, so it was a tad personal the way i treat the conduit if you catch my drift. If i had more time i would have managed it but hey i passed still and that was with having to use theres.

Results took roughly 10 days and i did mine less than 3 weeks ago.

Have to re-sit the fault rectification unit on the 16th of next month, but i will pass this 100%, so basically after this is completed I am qualified.

:D

well done mate..
I finished today it is very intense , non stop the whole way..how do you know what way its marked have you got info on it if so could you post a break down of marks .. ie lights..srcd..ring main etc.
testing inspection, fault finding etc as I hate the fact you have to wait and would just like to get a rough idea..
thanks

Apologies for being so ignorant but what is AM2 - i have never heard of it before reading this thread :eek:

Hey mate.

The AM2 (Achievment measurement 2) is a practical skill test that all apprentice trained sparks must do as part of their apprenticeship in order to become qualified.

It consists of a 10hr installation test involving pyro, galv conduit, tray, trunking 3 phase systems etc.

There is then a section on testing the installation and also another section on fault diagnosis. All in all it lasts about 3 days.

Hope this helps.

im in the middle of my am2 and ive got questions spinning aroud in my head and cant sleep!!!
just made myself a member and hope for some answers before 7:10am when i have to leave the house.
  • whilst carrying out the IR test does the rotary isolator have to be on so it tests the control circuit or left off??
  • does the 20A switchfuse need 16A fuses in not 20A for the 16A TP and earth socket outlet?
thanks hope you can help
craig.

Hey Kenny.

Yes use the 16A fuses.
The I/R test should be done with all switches closed but all loads. neons, and other electronic equipment disconnected.

Hope this helps

thanks for the reply at this time. great help. do they motor green and red neons need disconnecting or will they okay as the control circuit will not be under test if the rotarary isolator is not on.

also is up the off position on a MK key swithch?
thanks

If the isolator is off then the neons dont need disconnecting.

Yes up is off.

Cheers

as you can prob tell im thinking of alsorts of easy slip ups i could do. i have another question for you, what is the charging postion for a em light in a mk key switch.
and also in a mk grid intermeadiate switch which terminals, i.e. top two, or one top, one bottom are L1 and L2?
thanks once again

Hi Kenny.

The charging position for the em light is switch closed (down).
As for the switch terminals it's the same as any other intermediate - 2 cores from 1 cable into the top L1+L2, and the 2 cores from the other cable into the bottom L1+L2 terminals.

Cheers.

i have my am2 starting tomorrow and would like some information on what you do on each of the days and what each of the points are marked on thankyou very much to anyone who replies

i have my am2 starting tomorrow would like to know what you do on each of the days so i can prepare. does anyone know how the points are marked thank you very much to anyone who replies :)

Last edited by a moderator:
over the three days you have got the installation, which is mainly wiring. but in turn between you and 2 others you carry out fault finding and fault rectification. i did that first so then just had my installation to do then test it and that was it. it is not that difficult, some faults in the retification are simple, like the lamp has blown, the swithbar in swith fuse is missing so look for the obvious first. the fault finding is a bit more difficult but the bloke/woman there will demonstrate the falt, ie one switch wont work but the intermeadiate and other switch will so obviously check the strappers are not crossed or open circuit on one of the cables.most of the faults are open circuits i found, but describe in as much detail as you can, like open circuit in switch wire in switch on dado truking.
also whilst doing the installation dont think youve got all the time in the world, the time flies so keep an eye on the clock!!!!!

good luck
kenny

Hey kidda.

My advice is to start with what you are 100% confident with as this will get you warmed up for the parts that you are not so hot on.

From memory a lot of the guys with me struggled on the pyro so this will need a bit of thought and care as you only get one piece.

Have you done the pre AM2 yet?? if not then a little tip is you can write the sizes for your conduit i.e distance to the back of the bend etc on your spirit level, saves time on measuring out again as all the rigs are set up exactly the same.

make sure you select the 16A fuses for the 16A socket outlet not the 20A. When you lock off, keep the key in your pocket not in your toolbox

Just be methodical and keep an eye on the time and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Remember all of the assessment carried out are not 100% to achieve a pass. Out Of Time is a no no, and also remember that the more point gained the more possibility of a pass so no silly mistakes.
With assessments D1 and D2 if you are running out of time it is better to have a guess at the fault rather than be out of time.

hi, im doing my am2 next tues in manchester, i feel confident about the installation, but not too confident about the testing,is it true that you can take your notes in with you, as long as they're not in the bay.
thanks kurt

You will have guidance note 3, on-site-guide and 17th ed. regs book [provided by the centre] available for reference when you are carrying out assessment B. You are not allowed to bring your own notes into the assessment room but you can in the study room.

testing
continuity of protective conductors. you will use method 2 as the rig is small enough for the test leads to reach anywhere.
continuity of ring circuit
insulation resistance
polarity of the bulkhead
end of dead tests
live tests
Zs on one socket
RCD test on SRCD.
end of testing

I did my AM2 in 93 and was wondering if they still do the Audio Visual sysytems board? I failed it but knew where i went wrong and breezed iton the resit. On the fault finding the guy who will not be knamed fixed the fault i had to find so got points by proving it was ok.

Reply to AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock