Discuss AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Lenny
Tha audio visiual was a swine. Basically there was a pre wired board and you were given a line diagram to study.
From the diagram you had to install the links so that when you pressed button 1 light one came on and the light sounded. bu pressing another one stopped alarm but light stayed on same again for buttons 2 and 3 then there was a totat reset.
It was a horrible board but it was looking back it was basic control wiring.

Cheers Scott.

I deffo never had that in 99. Wonder why they stopped doing it, sounds like a good piece of training.

Cheers.

Stopped some years ago but funny you should be talking about what is in if anyone is cosidering doing the AM2 it is better for you to do it now rather than 2010. This is because in 2010 the AM2 will be changing i.e. assessments in shorter the time.

Hi retiered
I had to do mine as part of apprenticeship. Found the certificate a few months ago and stuck it on C.V . Isnt the old Craftsman certificate a better one to have??

You must remember the boffins on high think the NVQ is the bees knee as far as qualifications go. I will alway maintain that the old method of training and qualifications was the best for the electrical industry, but if you carried on with that system you would be training apprentices and they wouldn't complete therefore no funding so organisations come up with a simple system that achieved both aims apprentices passing and full funding on completion.
Yes the old qualifications were better and the sooner they are brought back into being the better for the industry.

my jtl officer has offered me the chance to take my am2 in october instead of next year as he thinks that i am ready, which i do also. quite nervous yet excited that i may get the chance to do it.

nothing yet. it was only briefly mentioned when i saw him at college last week, he said if i get the ok from my boss then we can go ahead and get it booked up.

edit: i have, however, seen the link from this forum that shows diagrams off the bay, wth what is pre-fixed/installed by yourself etc. but i'm not too sure how up to date that is.

Last edited:
well that's good news. i've only briefly looked at the diagrams and am happy with most of the installation apart from the motor circuit, as i don't have much experience (well any for that matter) in that kind of thing, but i have plenty of time to read up on that. what on the installation is wired in mineral?

Last edited:
It's not A1 that apprentices fail on it's usually C2, D1 and D2.

Usually once you completed your level 3 log book the jtl officer will have some idea if you could complete the AM2 first time. Remember they [jtl] will only get funded once you complete your training so make sure you are upto skill before attempting AM2. All I would say is the test might be changing in 2010 and no one is sure what might be taken out and what might be new. The choice is yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I served my time AM2 was still to be dreamed up....i got my grounding by 5-years apprenticeship & 1-day a week at college......they where the days when you could get a job first then study for your exams..........these days ,unfortunatekly for manythe opposite seems to be norm,and the job does not materialise at the end of the course !,

spark1

Hi all.

I'm starting my AM2 Exam on Monday the 15th of June.Yes, in a couple of days. Very nervous! I've had a a look at all the information on the AM2 exam and I should be ok. However, I'm a little worried about the fault diagnosis/rectification ( D1 and D2 ) sections. I was just wondering if anyone has any advise on these section i.e. common faults, procedures and something good to calm the nerves. I'd appreciate any advice you could provide.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to AM2 near... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock