Discuss AM2 results - not sure if I'll fail or pass need guidance in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Josh Tinto

EF Member
So I finished my AM2 yesterday and I'm expecting the results tonight, however when I did the practical aspect of it, I noticed my armoured cable going into the isolator had 2 strands loose, this has had me feeling like the world has fallen out my arse because I'm now tricking it thinking that I've failed because of this. The armoured agent on the tray fine and the glands at both ends were tight and couldn't be pulled out however 2 strands were about 1mm short and didn't clamp down so now I'm thinking I'm screwed... is this going to be a thing that fails me?!? Continuity readings were good so I'm hoping they will allow it.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
do you mean strands of the steel armour? if so, doubt they'll be a problem if only 1mm short.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
but will they undo the gland? if they do they might think it was undoing it that made them fall out.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
If that's the only mistake don't worry about it.

OP
J

Josh Tinto

EF Member
If that's the only mistake don't worry about it.
Its the only mistake that I'm aware of on the install side, there were a couple minor things with the testing that I was told were fine but I feel all of these collectively will just fail me, I don't want to have to resist an entire practical over 1 mistake

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
let us know later when you get your pass result. we all then have beer.

Reactions: PEG

dinger809

Regular EF Member
If that is all you’ve done, I can’t see you getting failed on it, that would be incredibly harsh. Good luck and let us know the result

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Its the only mistake that I'm aware of on the install side, there were a couple minor things with the testing that I was told were fine but I feel all of these collectively will just fail me, I don't want to have to resist an entire practical over 1 mistake
You only get marked down for each phase of the assessment so potentially you would only fail the installation part. Stop worrying, grab a beer and chill out.

Reactions: PEG

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
So I finished my AM2 yesterday and I'm expecting the results tonight, however when I did the practical aspect of it, I noticed my armoured cable going into the isolator had 2 strands loose, this has had me feeling like the world has fallen out my arse because I'm now tricking it thinking that I've failed because of this. The armoured agent on the tray fine and the glands at both ends were tight and couldn't be pulled out however 2 strands were about 1mm short and didn't clamp down so now I'm thinking I'm screwed... is this going to be a thing that fails me?!? Continuity readings were good so I'm hoping they will allow it.
it lucky it was not micc, then you would be pulling your hair out and the assessors.

HJC

EF Member
I was in a similar situation, my armoured didn’t have any loose strands but it wasn’t a perfect spread uniform around the gland, there were gaps where the strands had bunched closer together than others, I still passed no issue.
I was worrying over what other little things I could have not installed perfectly.
I think they allow so many minor mistakes like a driving test and no major mistakes. I can’t see them failing you over 2 strands though to be honest.
Good luck anyway I’m sure it’ll be fine :)

PEG

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Yep,well done,and keep up the self-criticism,which will ensure your work is always to a high standard. :)

dinger809

Regular EF Member
well done, congratulations and never stop doubting yourself........professional pride is way underated

Regan Foster

New EF Member
Well done! I’m half way through my AM2 at the moment. I’ve started worrying about my bonding as I think I’ve connected them into the wrong terminals in the earth bar. I don’t want to fail for something so silly. Nerves got the better of me. And as I did that circuit first. I feel I have fallen at the first hurdle. All connections are tight and connected correctly on the pipes. Could anyone help me on this?

Strima

Electrician's Arms
As long as they're connected to earth they can go in any position.

Scoob23

EF Member
I had test today. When testing the final ring circuit I measured my r1 +rn ... I then went onto the back of the sheet to note my readings... I wrote the formula to verify my r1+r2 being r1+rn/4 but didn’t actually do the calculation as forgot st the end.... will this fail me? I noted my “measured” r1+r2 on the test results also.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • Black

Votes: 30 33.7%

Electrician Talk