Discuss Ampy 5258K electric meter fault and SSE in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pdixon

-
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about electricity meters, as supplied by SSE.

Mine has a fault.
The display is often blank and the meter continues to record power being used even when turned off at the main circuit breaker on the consumer unit.

I videoed it. That to me is 100% proof the meter is faulty so I reported it to the electric company.
But the electric company, after 5 weeks, have still not sent anyone out to look at it.
Co-incidentally, the meter reader came for a scheduled meter read. He saw the display on the meter was blank and also that it recorded with the power switched off.

I have 2 questions about this which I hope someone can help answer.
The meter reader said there is a battery in the meter and he'll report it so someone will come and replace the battery.
This was news to me. I know "smart" gas meters have a battery in them but non-smart electric meters?
Can anyone confirm that a standard, digital electricity meter (this one is Ampy 5258K) has a battery which needs replacing every few years?
Surely the power is 100% derived from the mains?

Second, the more important question, the electric company said that they can't come to investigate a faulty meter unless the fault continues after the power to the house is off for more than 1 hour because the meter can continue to record genuine usage for up to 30 minutes with the power off.
I told them that is nonsense but they keep repeating it.

I reckon they're confusing the actual meter with a remote display on a gas smart meter. I know remote displays update about every 30 minutes but surely the display on the meter itself must always show the actual energy consumed to date in real time? It can't continue to increase for more than a fraction of a second once the power is off?

Can anyone with a bit of knowledge of these meters tell me if I'm right or if the electric company is right?

Thanks.

have you contacted the DNO or your supplier? they aren't usually the same in recent years.

Yes, I've contacted SSE. They are my supplier and the meter has their name on it.
They told me to turn the power off for an hour. I'm looking for information to back up their statement that the meter can continue to record power being used for up to 30 minutes after the power is turned off.

think they are confused with the smart meter's display updates. call back and ask for the duty engineer and explain the problem. it's no use talking to a receptionist who thinks that nails should be polished, not hammered.

I don't see how they can say its reading usage when the power is off? What are you using? You can't be using anything if the power is turned off!

Get your lighter out and slightly melt the plastic along the bottom of the meter where the cables go in. Send them a photo of that and they'll be there in a flash (no pun intended)

Disclaimer:
The advice given here is to be taken in jest and in no way is it a professional solution to any electrical problem.
Electricity is dangerous.
Fire is dangerous.
M'kay

put a kipper on the meter tonight. then phone them tomorrow. tell them the meter smells fishy( remove kipper before they arrive).

I followed your advice with the lighter.
I then phoned the fire brigade to say my kitchen was on fire but they said I have to watch it for 60 minutes to make sure it really was a fire before they'd come out and investigate because, apparently, not being on fire can persist for upto 30 minutes after the flames first appear.

Second, the more important question, the electric company said that they can't come to investigate a faulty meter unless the fault continues after the power to the house is off for more than 1 hour because the meter can continue to record genuine usage for up to 30 minutes with the power off.
I told them that is nonsense but they keep repeating it.

They say the same thing on their web site What to do if your gas or electricity meter isn’t working - SSE - https://sse.co.uk/help/energy/meters/faulty-gas-electricity-meter-problems
Perhaps its true :)

No outbuildings.
I did consider the neighbours might have inadvertently tapped into my supply when they built an extension next door! But that was ruled out when I switched off the power and the meter kept running as that would have switched the neighbours off too.

The whole lot, meter consumer unit, main fuse, were replaced in 2010 and I know there is no possibility of anything intervening between the meter and the consumer unit so when the consumer unit is off, there can be no power flowing.

Apart from you thinking your meter is faulty, what else suggests you have a faulty meter. Are your bills varying?

Last edited:
Apart from you thinking your meter is faulty, what else suggest your have a faulty meter. Are your bills varying?
The meter says power consumption is 15 units per day when it should be 2 or 3 units per day.
The meter says power consumption is still 15 units per day even when the main circuit breaker is off.
The display on the meter is blank half of the time.

Sounds like the meter is FUBAR. Non-smart kWh meters should not register or update when there's no load.

That SSE page contains other nonsense too. Electricity meter leaking...?? And seeing whether the dials move quickly or slowly when you switch on an 'appliance' tells you whether or not it's faulty?? I mean, a tumble drier might spin it quite fast but if a TV spins it at the same speed the TV will be on fire. But you would have to wait 30 mins after the screen melts to be sure about that.

Hmm, do they mean the service cable / head leaking compound or pitch?

BTW, OP you mention main circuit breaker. Is this actually the Main Switch? I appreciate that if you have an overall RCD then they are one and the same, but technically it is the Main Switch that would disconnect the whole installation from the supply.

You could follow this guidance;
That's an interesting document.
It says "This will be done by an independent examiner, in the presence of an operative from your supplier."
SSE are now going to send someone out in 2 weeks time but I got the impression that it's only an SSE employee and not an independent examiner. Does this mean I'll have to prevent him from replacing the meter out unless the independent examiner is there too?

Hmm. could the solar panels be fooling the meter into still reading with the power off?
Did you try it with the PV system isolated too?

Check how the PV is connected. I saw one recently where it was connected to the supply side of the mainswitch. So technically nothing protecting the 4mm tails from there to the PV system, and no way to isolate those tails without calling in the seal fairies. Is it off its own MCB in the board?
Normally the red flashing light stays on and doesn't flash at all when the PV is feeding back into the grid (It does with my meter, but then, not the same type)

Reply to Ampy 5258K electric meter fault and SSE in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock