Discuss Anybody accept card payments from customers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Had a phone call today from a company called iZettle, they make a little card reader that connects to your phone so you can take card payments from customers there and then on the spot.
it has it advantages in that you don't have to chase up payment after a job and saves the risk of dodgy cheques or customer having no cash. I hesitated about the cost of the card chip and pin reader so they will let you have it for £25 quid if you play hard ball.
They charge 2.75% per transaction below around £1.5k per month. Above this the rates come down quite a bit. Its an added expense but at least you have instant payment and no chasing up invoices. so it s a time / cost balance really. could the time spent chasing invoices be better spent earning the money you pay for the card platform and making further profit on top?

Anybody else out there take card payments from customers?

If so can you recommend a good solution or provider? I am waiting to hear back from PayPal as well but it seems the fees are pretty standard across the board.

I feel especially, with domestic customers a lot of them would happily pull out a debit card and pay on the spot, that way its done. no logging into online banking entering passwords and stuff or me having to out invoices.

Ask them to have the cash ready for you once the job is complete. A good example of this was from a book I was reading about Pimlico Plumbers, they used to invoice for works and would have thousands of pounds outstanding, then you've got the hassle to chase it up etc. They changed there payment terms to full payment on completion by cash, so the cash flow was always there and no chasing up customers who owe money, suppliers can be paid etc. Cash payment is the future.

I use Sum-Up when necessary, it only takes a few days to clear into my account with a minimal charge for the transaction. One large building company I have done work for prefer to pay with a credit card??? but was fine with me. My preference is BACS, some are cash and a few are cheque, I would prefer the card reader to a cheque.

In Australia more than half of all transactions are done cashless with cards.
Its the way it seems to be going
want to lose half your customers ?
Get a machine and just charge a fee to cover the costs involved.
most people don't mind.

I can't see how this would functionally work. If its a large job, that's been quoted but has extras, I've got to go away and work out an invoice. So BACS, cheque possibly cash. If I can come up with a costing there & then, its only gonna be small job = small money, so having a card reader isn't going to be cost effective, unless your the likes of Pimlico Plumbers, and have (high) set prices.

It is cost efective on small jobs.
If I do a call out and it comes to say £50 and they give me a cheque, I have to go to town, pay to park, queue at the bank etc. I'd much rather pay the 2.5% - 3% or whatever it is, say £1.50 to £2.00 for it to be paid straight into my account.
I get about 1 cheque a month and it normally stays in the van for a week or so until get to the bank.

Most of my payments are BACS, so the odd cheque/cash wouldn't make it pay for me.

Most of my payments are bank transfers or cash Murdoch, which is the reason that it does pay for me.

If I had a dozen or so cheques to pay in each week then I'd be quite happy to go to the bank once a week, but because I get so few cheques I'm happy to pay a couple of quid for a card payment. It's extremely cost effective when you factor in your time. Once you have the card reader there's nothing to pay other than transaction charges. no monthly outlay, if I don't recieve a cheque for a month or so I pay nothing.
I don't advertise that I take cards or tell the client unless they don't do internet banking or don't have the cash. Even then I still end up with the odd cheque.
I've not long had my reader so early days.

we use izettle, it's perfect for payment on the spot, it even catch the odd customer out who think they will get an invoice in the post.

probably one of the best things I've done, perfect when working for someone you don't know also, random call outs etc.

cash is a pain in the arse, and costs money to bank, cheques are the same, bacs is good but customers often don't have logon details to hand etc.

Reply to Anybody accept card payments from customers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net