• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Anyone go the BBB to hand - reg regarding mix and match in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
So next week I have to add a circuit to this board:

Wylex CU.jpg

My plan is to add a Wylex breaker ........... but how would the BBB wording cover this?

I haven't bough the BBB yet!

After all, its not me that added the 3rd party breakers:):):):):)

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I think your work would be perfectly fine. A note on the cert might be in order. Also see what Wylex have to say about that. Would be a costly swap to change all those out.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
So next week I have to add a circuit to this board:

View attachment 43479

My plan is to add a Wylex breaker ........... but how would the BBB wording cover this?

I haven't bough the BBB yet!

After all, its not me that added the 3rd party breakers:):):):):)
Not sure if you will be able to read this PDF the NICEIC told me to read when I asked their help desk, no I'm not a member.
Sorry cant copy it, it's a Beama pdf safe selection of devices for installation in enclosures, you should be able to Google it for yourself.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
I think your work would be perfectly fine. A note on the cert might be in order. Also see what Wylex have to say about that. Would be a costly swap to change all those out.
Hum ............ asking Wylex will surely ONLY result in the recommendation for them to make bigger profits swap Harok for Wylex

So I'm not going there

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Not sure if you will be able to read this PDF the NICEIC told me to read when I asked their help desk, no I'm not a member.
file:///C:/Users/Pete/Desktop/Safe%20Selection%20of%20Devices%20for%20Installation%20in%20Assemblies%20(1).pdf
Pete - thats a link to your hard drive

Could you post the PDF?

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Go onto a website for a company called United Electrical Products where under the rcbo section you will see these Harok devices with a claim they are Wylex compatible. Not sure Mr Wylex will support that.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
None of the car manufactures have tried to stop people fitting 3rd party brake pads to their cars - MCB's and RCBO's are no different....

davesparks

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
None of the car manufactures have tried to stop people fitting 3rd party brake pads to their cars - MCB's and RCBO's are no different....
Yes they are different, a better comparison for brake pads would be lamps, they wear out and need to be replaced.

MCBs and RCBOs form part of a type tested assembly to a specific European standard, mixing parts which have not been type tested together results in a potentially non-compliant assembly.

Brake pads are a service item designed to be replaced at regular intervals as they wear.

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
back to my OP - can anyone share the wording of this "new" reg?

Vortigern

Regular EF Member
If you are installing to 18th edition (not that you need to) you will need the regs exam and BBB surely to make sure you are compliant with 18th edition that comes into force Jan 2019. Why do you not just keep to 17th and not be premature? Anyway if you put a wylex fuse in the spare way you are not mixing anything, whoever put the others in did the mixing which in no way affects your work.

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
All this new Reg does is reinforce what many people should not be doing in the first place, there has always been a requirement to follow manufacturers instructions. For those who do not mix and attempt to match this Reg is irrelevant.

Vortigern

Regular EF Member
Any MCB currently complying with 60898 should be universally the same, standard, operation, characteristics. If the shape of it fits whats the big deal. Is this not actually manufacturers using the regs to enhance their own monopoly and business model? Like Hager getting in the reg about MF junction boxes to stop Wago from getting into the european market? Get a grip the reg should be changed to if an MCB fits without chopping the consumer unit about then use it for goodness sake!

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
The issue is not individual component specification but the integrity of the whole part.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.