Discuss Approved electrician exam resit in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi new to this quick question ,can anybody give me any possible advice on the risk assessment part of the Aca test (approved electrician exam ) I failed on that part last week but can’t think for the life of me how I failed as I thought the exam was pretty straight forward, is there something obvious I might have missed that others have failed on ?
Thanks

Hi Prowan85, I would suggest the best people to ask is your tutor or examiner and also full review of your notes of risk assessment (of which the latter I assume you already will have done), we do have strict policy on discussing coursework, exams etc in that we allow guidance and advice only so as long as members don't dish out detailed answers that could see other members passing courses without understanding them then it is fine to ask.
If there is any particular part that you may think you got wrong then the best way is present your understanding of it and see if members can identify where you may be going wrong.
PS - relocated thread to appropriate section.

Hi new to this quick question ,can anybody give me any possible advice on the risk assessment part of the Aca test (approved electrician exam ) I failed on that part last week but can’t think for the life of me how I failed as I thought the exam was pretty straight forward, is there something obvious I might have missed that others have failed on ?
Thanks
Is that an Approved Contractor you are on about? as I thought an Approved Electrician is something you earned by so many years experience and certain qualifications, could be wrong as things have change beyond recognition since I was a Lad.

It’s basically the advanced competence assessment where after 2 years of being an electrician you site an exam to become approved. In my case I have been qualified for 6 years and thought it was the right time to progress but after studying like mad for weeks I slipped up with the risk assessment part .normally don’t have much issues with them as I have done a good few in the past so I’m worried I go and fail it a second time by missing something obvious

It’s basically the advanced competence assessment where after 2 years of being an electrician you site an exam to become approved. In my case I have been qualified for 6 years and thought it was the right time to progress but after studying like mad for weeks I slipped up with the risk assessment part .normally don’t have much issues with them as I have done a good few in the past so I’m worried I go and fail it a second time by missing something obvious
Cheers for the info, learn something new every day.

Ive never heard of this approved contractor exam and I applied and got approved contractor 2 years ago. I just needed to prove my competence or "electrically skilledness as its called now", at an assessment of my works.

In Scotland, passing the ACA allows you to be graded as an approved electrician, which is one step higher than electrician and one step lower than technician.

@spinlondon you've hit the nail on the head.

@Paignton pete sounds like you're talking about a scheme membership assessment?
Same as in England then 1st paragraph

So in Scotland if you hold a "Core Electrician" Gold JIB card and have completed your 2391 and AM2 do you still have to undertake this exam to get your grading upgraded to Approved ?

Thanks

Hello Prowan85,

Risk Assessments are basically supposed to follow a `5 step process` [as recommended by the HSE] - put simply one should build their Risk Assessment by looking carefully at these:

How to assess the risks in your workplace
Follow these five steps:

Step 1
Identify the hazards

Step 2
Decide who might be harmed and how

Step 3
Evaluate the risks and decide on precautions

Step 4
Record your findings and implement them

Step 5
Review your assessment and update if necessary

I hope that I have attached a PDF copy of the HSE leaflet that this `5 Steps to Risk Assessment` details - see some other notes at the bottom of the pages.

If You can introduce an explanation containing these 5 steps into your Exam you should pass as you will have conformed to the `HSE Recommended process` for completing a Risk Assessment.

I hope that this is helpful.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• HEALTH AND SAFETY - RISK ASSESSMENT ADVICE - indg163.pdf
    131.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi there,

I see you sat your ACA recently.

Can you give me any information-tips on this, I have mine booked for a couple weeks time and I’m struggling to find any information.

Cheers

Reply to Approved electrician exam resit in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock