Discuss Are these boxes overfull? (USA NEC 2017) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dogbob

DIY
Reaction score
I am a homeowner-to-be. This is in USA, and must follow NEC 2017 (this state has not yet adopted 2020). The builder has done rough electrical and it concerns me, but I am not an electrician, so can't make a definitive call.

In the attached photo, the left box appears to be a 32 cu in box (is that correct?) and already has four NM cables coming in the top and at least two coming in the bottom. I think that white is 14-3 and yellow is 12-3. I don't know about the bottom. The way I read NEC 314.16, a 32 cu in box can only have 13 #12 conductors, and then no outlets. The top is already 9 #12 and 3 #14, and there are also wires from the bottom and probably going to be one or two outlets (yokes?).

The right box appears to be a 16 cu in box (is that correct?) and has 3 or 4 NM 14-3 cables (two on far right, one or two on left) giving 9 or 12 #14 conductors, but I think we are limited to 7, and again, that doesn't allow an outlet.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Am I missing anything?

Thank you!!!Are these boxes overfull? (USA NEC 2017) Overloaded boxes - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
In my humble opinion, I would not consider that to be “rough electrics”
it looks quite neat and tidy.

I think the person doing that work has done quite a lot of electrical work in the past and may well be a perfectly good electrician.

if you have concerns, bring them to the attention of the builder/lead contractor in writing and await their response.

edit,

I am uk based and understand some of the differences between uk and USA wiring code but not all of it.

@Megawatt is a USA spark that regularly posts good quality info about things your side of the pond.

UK peeps: This is something specific to the NEC. There are strict limits on the number of cables and conductors of any size that may be terminated in any size of box. You have to know the box volume in cubic inches and use a table or a formula to work out what it can hold.

Personally I don't like the idea, I consider myself a better judge of how accessible and maintainable my termination work is, than a table in a book. But it does stop people just ramming stuff in until it's completely unworkable, such as we often see with heating systems, because it becomes a violation not just poor style.

I am a homeowner-to-be. This is in USA, and must follow NEC 2017 (this state has not yet adopted 2020). The builder has done rough electrical and it concerns me, but I am not an electrician, so can't make a definitive call.

In the attached photo, the left box appears to be a 32 cu in box (is that correct?) and already has four NM cables coming in the top and at least two coming in the bottom. I think that white is 14-3 and yellow is 12-3. I don't know about the bottom. The way I read NEC 314.16, a 32 cu in box can only have 13 #12 conductors, and then no outlets. The top is already 9 #12 and 3 #14, and there are also wires from the bottom and probably going to be one or two outlets (yokes?).

The right box appears to be a 16 cu in box (is that correct?) and has 3 or 4 NM 14-3 cables (two on far right, one or two on left) giving 9 or 12 #14 conductors, but I think we are limited to 7, and again, that doesn't allow an outlet.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Am I missing anything?

Thank you!!!View attachment 92173
first off go to article 316.16(A) and 314.26(B) to get your answer. Each #12 is 2.25 cubic inches each #14 is 2.00 cubic inches, count the largest ground as 1 # 12 count it as one wire which is 2.25 cubic inches, and add 2.25 cubic inches for the yoke Having said that the cubic inches for the box should be stamped in the bottom of the box. The box on the left which is a 3 gang box that has that many cables that each have 3 wires and the devices count as one #12. The math would be 12 times 2.25 cubic inches equals 50 cubic inches with the #12 wires and #14 which is counted as 2.00 cubic inches and 1 # 12 ground and count 1 yoke at 2.25 cubic inches. Add all the single wires plus the yokes and then find the correct size of your box which at most is 4 11/16 times 2 1/8 is the biggest box. I’m coming up with 31.5 cubic inches just for the # 12 wires and yoke plus the ground and 18 cubic inches for the 14 wires and that’s just adding the top and not the bottom. Why in the hell is the builder and not an electrician doing the rough in anyway. With using that many wires for a simple 3 gang box is stupid. That box would never pass inspection. Hire you a qualified electrician to straighten that mess up. The biggest 4 inch square box they make is the most cubic inches that you can use is 4 times 11/16 by 2 1/8 which is only good for 42 cubic inches period. The box on the right should be fine but it’s also close on your box fill

so it’s safe to say that box has way to many wires to be in compliance with the NEC. If you really want to learn study article 314. There is no way that 3 devices in a 3 gang box can use that many wires. It’s way to early in the morning to get my brain to function without my coffee. Simple terms study article 314 to get your answers. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck my friend. I hope that this helps you and with all them wires you would have to cram all them wires in the box much left the 3 devices. The 14/3 shouldn’t even be in that box since it will serve as another circuit. @littlespark and when I first wake up I’m brain dead. LOL

first off go to article 316.16(A) and 314.26(B) to get your answer. Each #12 is 2.25 cubic inches each #14 is 2.00 cubic inches, count the largest ground as 1 # 12 count it as one wire which is 2.25 cubic inches, and add 2.25 cubic inches for the yoke Having said that the cubic inches for the box should be stamped in the bottom of the box. The box on the left which is a 3 gang box that has that many cables that each have 3 wires and the devices count as one #12. The math would be 12 times 2.25 cubic inches equals 50 cubic inches with the #12 wires and #14 which is counted as 2.00 cubic inches and 1 # 12 ground and count 1 yoke at 2.25 cubic inches. Add all the single wires plus the yokes and then find the correct size of your box which at most is 4 11/16 times 2 1/8 is the biggest box. I’m coming up with 31.5 cubic inches just for the # 12 wires and yoke plus the ground and 18 cubic inches for the 14 wires and that’s just adding the top and not the bottom. Why in the hell is the builder and not an electrician doing the rough in anyway. With using that many wires for a simple 3 gang box is stupid. That box would never pass inspection. Hire you a qualified electrician to straighten that mess up. The biggest 4 inch square box they make is the most cubic inches that you can use is 4 times 11/16 by 2 1/8 which is only good for 42 cubic inches period. The box on the right should be fine but it’s also close on your box fill

so it’s safe to say that box has way to many wires to be in compliance with the NEC. If you really want to learn study article 314. There is no way that 3 devices in a 3 gang box can use that many wires. It’s way to early in the morning to get my brain to function without my coffee. Simple terms study article 314 to get your answers. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck my friend. I hope that this helps you and with all them wires you would have to cram all them wires in the box much left the 3 devices. The 14/3 shouldn’t even be in that box since it will serve as another circuit. @littlespark and when I first wake up I’m brain dead. LOL
Heck I read all that and it confuses me but if he uses the charts and learns them he will be fine. I’m going to drink my coffee. Good question @littlespark especially when you first wake up but thank you for the heads up

I need to edit the articles with the chart 314.16(A) and chart 314.16(B) for box fill calculations

Great advice, detailed and helpful. Thank you.

Yes, I've read 316.16(A) and 314.26(B), and that's why I was concerned. But I'm just a tinkerer and this work was done by a professional electrician, so I wanted a real opinion before raising my concerns. But they will be drywalling soon and burying any errors.

Unfortunately, I am 1500 miles away from the project. I can't look at the boxes to read the sizes/specs. I had one opportunity for a very dear friend to stop by and take photos at random and am trying to figure out what I'm seeing.

By the way, why did you call the left box "three gang"?

Again, thanks!

I found one more photo of that area, zoomed in (below). It gives a bit more detail on the number of wires going into the bottom and the stuffing.

This box is behind the refrigerator in the kitchen. I think that the smaller box (shown above but not shown below) is power for the refridgerator. This larger box may be solely interconnect. I don't think there is a reason for another outlet there.

Unfortunately, the house plan that I have (below) only shows user features, not construction details. The photo was taken while in the kitchen, looking to the right. I drew a blue square for the location of this photo.

Attachments

• Are these boxes overfull? (USA NEC 2017) zoom - EletriciansForums.net
    zoom.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Are these boxes overfull? (USA NEC 2017) kitchen - EletriciansForums.net
    kitchen.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 11
I found one more photo of that area, zoomed in (below). It gives a bit more detail on the number of wires going into the bottom and the stuffing.

This box is behind the refrigerator in the kitchen. I think that the smaller box (shown above but not shown below) is power for the refridgerator. This larger box may be solely interconnect. I don't think there is a reason for another outlet there.

Unfortunately, the house plan that I have (below) only shows user features, not construction details. The photo was taken while in the kitchen, looking to the right. I drew a blue square for the location of this photo.
Maybe that box is designed for a junction box but it is still over the box fill calculations which is in violation of the NEC

In my humble opinion, I would not consider that to be “rough electrics”
it looks quite neat and tidy.

I think the person doing that work has done quite a lot of electrical work in the past and may well be a perfectly good electrician.

if you have concerns, bring them to the attention of the builder/lead contractor in writing and await their response.

edit,

I am uk based and understand some of the differences between uk and USA wiring code but not all of it.

@Megawatt is a USA spark that regularly posts good quality info about things your side of the pond.
Funny old Americans / Canadians always seem to call their first fix wiring 'rough house wiring' or 'roughing in wiring'

Strange folk, anyway I am just about to put my jumper on and Clean out my car boot.
?

Funny old Americans / Canadians always seem to call their first fix wiring 'rough house wiring' or 'roughing in wiring'
@Dustydazzler even the inspectors call it a rough in inspection which you have to have so the drywall people can start installing there sheet rock. It is tidy work, its just a violation and who knows what else they did that we haven’t seen. Have a great day

Yes I know it is an actual phrase you use 'roughing in the wiring' for what we call 'first fixed' wiring

Here in the UK if you said to someone that you were going to be roughing in some wiring they would presume you were making a mess and just throwing in the wiring with no care

"It is tidy work, its just a violation and who knows what else they did that we haven’t seen."

Yes, that's my bigger fear. Who knows what evil lurks in the dark corners?

Genuinely interested to learn from this. Why the concern over number of cables? is it a heat thing? I have to say I think the installation looks quite neat. I accept that "neat" does not mean "compliance" and have no knowledge of the regs in the USA, hence my query.
Is the purpose of the circuits irrelevant? By that I mean, is it the current flow that dictates the "fill" ratio?
For me, every day's a school day, so I would really like to know more.

The NEC has lots of 'interesting' codes , like you have to staple a cable xyz inches from a box etc
There are entire youtube videos explaining 'the code' and with example of code violations

If you are ever struggling to sleep they will send you off within 20 mins

I just redid the math using what I think is correct, for what I think is going on.
From the two photos, it appears that this box has 4 gray cables, 3 yellow cables, & 1 white cable.
Yellow is commonly 12-2+G and white is commonly 14-2+G. Gray is underground cable, with nonspecific gauge. Assuming gray is also 12-2+G, we need:
14*2.25+2*2=35.5 for conductors
2.25+4*(2.25/4)=4.5 for grounds
2.25 for internal clamping
With no recepticles, that's 42.25 cubic inches.
I found something on the web (Cantex EZ48DNR) that looks like this box and is 48 cu in.
If they really used a 48 cu in box, could it be that this is good?

If they add two recepticles, however, that's 4.5 cu in each, for another 9 cu inches, and certainly over budget.
If they used a 42 cu in box or smaller, again over budget.

To Pirate's question, the calculations in the NEC do not take into account load, only wire size. I've not been able to find a specific reason for box fill limitations, other than to prevent unsafe conditions.

Great advice, detailed and helpful. Thank you.

Yes, I've read 316.16(A) and 314.26(B), and that's why I was concerned. But I'm just a tinkerer and this work was done by a professional electrician, so I wanted a real opinion before raising my concerns. But they will be drywalling soon and burying any errors.

Unfortunately, I am 1500 miles away from the project. I can't look at the boxes to read the sizes/specs. I had one opportunity for a very dear friend to stop by and take photos at random and am trying to figure out what I'm seeing.

By the way, why did you call the left box "three gang"?

Again, thanks!
I called 3 gang because if you look in the box it’s has across the top 3 screw holes and the same on the bottom which it will accommodate 3 separate devices. My friend even if a receptacle is to go in that box I don’t think you could cram the wires in the box plus the receptacle. You asked about box fill and what’s it for. For one thing they all are current carrying conductors in a race way which In lay mans terms is that electrical causes heat. Add a couple of boxes close to that box so when you run across a problem with the 4x4 you will have a plan B. Again good luck

I just redid the math using what I think is correct, for what I think is going on.
From the two photos, it appears that this box has 4 gray cables, 3 yellow cables, & 1 white cable.
Yellow is commonly 12-2+G and white is commonly 14-2+G. Gray is underground cable, with nonspecific gauge. Assuming gray is also 12-2+G, we need:
14*2.25+2*2=35.5 for conductors
2.25+4*(2.25/4)=4.5 for grounds
2.25 for internal clamping
With no recepticles, that's 42.25 cubic inches.
I found something on the web (Cantex EZ48DNR) that looks like this box and is 48 cu in.
If they really used a 48 cu in box, could it be that this is good?

If they add two recepticles, however, that's 4.5 cu in each, for another 9 cu inches, and certainly over budget.
If they used a 42 cu in box or smaller, again over budget.

To Pirate's question, the calculations in the NEC do not take into account load, only wire size. I've not been able to find a specific reason for box fill limitations, other than to prevent unsafe conditions.
Good job with the math but you just have to count the grounds as one wire which will be sized as the ground for the largest conductor which is # 12

Reply to Are these boxes overfull? (USA NEC 2017) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock