Discuss Asbestos Awareness Training in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ricardo123

Just been on a job and they told me Asbestos Awareness Training Certificates are now only valid for 1 year because of new legislation. Mine was out of date by 1 month. I said I had not heard of this. I read the actual Government legislation of 2012 and I could find no remarks in there about it being done every year.

Anyone know any different or is this just another case of the parasites that seem to have a grip of this industry?

That bull****, Asbestos Awareness training does not expire except for the certification process for those working in the Asbestos removal industry. It is good practice to refresh from time to time as a company's policies and practices change, to keep up with legislation changes and if you work in a different building to normal that your made aware of the Asbestos register for that building and perhaps a "toolbox" talk on that building's exact asbestos state.

However, as I said, there is no legislation that requires annual updates and I do not believe that would ever be introduced, however an individual company may make it part of the health and safety policy, and in this case you legally have to comply because it is a stated and written policy document written in accordance with the MHSAW.

We were told by our Asbestos Training Provider that certificates now only last for one year.

I spoke to a load of other lads and they also said that's what they have been told by training providers as well.

Our provider said it was because of the 2012 legislation but like I said there is nothing in there about training every 12 months.

Can't wait to get out of this industry.

We were told by our Asbestos Training Provider that certificates now only last for one year.

I spoke to a load of other lads and they also said that's what they have been told by training providers as well.

Our provider said it was because of the 2012 legislation but like I said there is nothing in there about training every 12 months.

Ask for something official in writing confirming the legislation for this new annual requirement. Otherwise ignore it and treat as hear-say!! lol!!

Another pointless costly course.

I would suggest that a consultant has a vested interest in the training provider and is possibly on kick backs. If you want a definitive answer all you have to do is contact the HSE directly and they will give you the correct information. Ask for it in writing, present it to your Boss and you may save him thousands and thousands of unnecessary costs.

If any training was going to expire it would be L8, and whilst it is good practice to stay up to date and have regular refreshers, even here there is no stipulation for a complete retraining, and get L8 wrong and you could literally kill hundreds under the right (or wrong :) ) circumstances.

True or fictional, just another money making bandwagon. If you've done it once, why do they need to charge again for what, at most, are minor points of difference.

Hahaha...you could get into Programming.
In a former life (ended in 1991), I was a C programmer, and the amount boolsheet shyte code and idiots spouting utter garbage, had to get out! That, and working in an office.

Nothing's really changed in any respect really I see!

[h=2]From HSE;

Refresher training[/h] Refresher training should not be a repeat of the initial training. It should be given at least once a year and be appropriate to the workers' familiarity with the work. Therefore, depending on the individual training need it could be a structured update training session or a short toolbox talk refreshing experienced workers of the main principles/ expectations.

Latest..... £70 course. Implementation of correct toilet roll for special applications.
Guidelines and instuction also included for regulatory use of, helmets, safety gloves, goggles and, in certain circumstances, ear and nose plugs whilst in the process of relief.
Remember, even when on borrowed time, health and safety is always imperative.

I suspect its another industry myth the training providers are trying to create. The current cert and my last cert both have an expiry date on them of 1 year. I think they are trying to propagate a myth that this is what the law states but in my opinion it could be just another way of trying to con people out of money. If the law does state this then I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

So basically from what I can gather you don't require Asbestos Awareness Certificate each year, what you do require for each new job or current job that's lasted a while is just a refresh, such as a short talk on the current asbestos dangers within the work place.

Reply to Asbestos Awareness Training in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock