Discuss ATEX Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to some of the guys that have not seen anything like this before. As a side line here, I get asked quite a few time to do different things and I was asked to connect up a couple of convereted shipping containers that is to be used for storing flammable materials.

It is pretty simple, just a couple of lights and a switch. But of course these have to be ATEX standard. Below is one of the switches with the special sealed conduit that is used.

Switch-Conduit .jpg

This one is a closer look at the switch

Switch.jpg

And the last the internal install.

Lights.jpg

Just thought it might be of interest to some guys who don't have to deal with these things

Thought this might be of interest to some of the guys that have not seen anything like this before. As a side line here, I get asked quite a few time to do different things and I was asked to connect up a couple of convereted shipping containers that is to be used for storing flammable materials.

It is pretty simple, just a couple of lights and a switch. But of course these have to be ATEX standard. Below is one of the switches with the special sealed conduit that is used.

View attachment 30709

This one is a closer look at the switch

View attachment 30710

And the last the internal install.

View attachment 30711

Just thought it might be of interest to some guys who don't have to deal with these things

Excellent, love to see something a bit different!

Where is the lights supplied from? Is there a DB that needs to be ATEX as well?

The last vapour proof lights i seen had metal cases with a glass tube over the light those one look like normal anti corrosive but im guessing they are vapour proof , do you have to use a sealant on the joints ?

Excellent, love to see something a bit different!

Where is the lights supplied from? Is there a DB that needs to be ATEX as well?

The panel board will be site externally. There is going to be an ATEX rated package unit fitted for the store, you can see the intake/extract diffusers.

There is a main store building next to it. So we are taking a distribution circuit from there to this.

We got the lights locally here, but I had a 8 week wait and they are Thorn so I'm guessing for Europe

The last vapour proof lights i seen had metal cases with a glass tube over the light those one look like normal anti corrosive but im guessing they are vapour proof , do you have to use a sealant on the joints ?

They are all Zone II category rated and have all the bar markings, he he unless the lads have slipped one by me, I'll check that today

Hi,

Looking at the lighting my first thoughts were EExe but looking at the Thorn website they are possibly EEXN. Do you carry out your own zoning or is it determined by the specification for the job.
Just interested really, as i was wondering what zone was given and whether EEXN were a suitable fitting for that environment.

Regards.

Hi,

Looking at the lighting my first thoughts were EExe but looking at the Thorn website they are possibly EEXN. Do you carry out your own zoning or is it determined by the specification for the job.
Just interested really, as i was wondering what zone was given and whether EEXN were a suitable fitting for that environment.

Regards.

It is a temporary holding store for waste oil products. The left side only will be liquids, the right side wide will be solids such as grease etc.

Therefore why a Zone II because they are all in special sealed containers and will be stored maximum 7 days there, maybe less. There is a very small chance of vapour from them, but it is belts and braces and therefore ATEX fittings/accessories.

Also I will ask the mechanical guys but when it arrives you will see that the package unit is huge, and that is for the rate of air change on it, and there are sealed filters everywhere on it, it is some piece of kit.

I have to be honest I came from a mining back ground so knew a little about this, but luckily the base as HSE guys who guided me quite a bit, so I was told what to get lol

Reply to ATEX Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net