Discuss back to the 15theddition in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I was reading some guidance notes on the 17th eddition today and I see that (once again) we are now advised to use the steelwire armouring as the cpc.No longer do we have to install a separate cpc.
I also noted on steel conduit/trunking systems we are now being told that the conduit/trunking itself is now considered to be the prefered circuit protective conductor.Also same as we did in the 15theddition.
I;m showing my age here,but maybe when the 18th eddition comes in,lead and paper cables will come back in fashion.;)

I thought that it was always acceptable to use armour and trunking as CPC provided certain conditions were met?

Only speaking from personal experience here,but within the past 20 odd years any job,(and I have been at this game for 30years) I have been on we always had to install separate cpc within trunking and galv conduit.I don't know if it was a regulation directive or down to the designers whim,more likely down to the use of a semiskilled workforce,couldn't depend on them to use lead washers at their flange couplings and to tighten their brass bushes up correctly.
As for the armouring,it had been now tested and proven that the fault withstand of the armour is greater than the fault current reqd to operate a bs88 fuse within 5 secs(except 2core 400mm).The reason designers
were specifying green+yellow cpc was due to their incorrect calculations from their software. And it is now suggested that when a designer's software says we need a separate cpc, that the calculations are re checked manually.

The 15th is the same as the 17th, except use bigger earth wires, use rcd's in dodgy areas...something which all real sparks did before it became law. I have used rcds for going on 10 years now, in the old days they were elcb's but at the time they were the best safety device available...now some ---- pot wants to charge me £600 ish that I should use them...Oh well that's this governments stealth tax in oppo

Reply to back to the 15theddition in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock