Discuss Bahco Side Cutters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Gary, Bahco and Knipex are two great cutters, but only if you use them for their intended use! Cutting fencing wire, welding rods, and piano wire will kill the edge---Iv'e seen it done---why do you think there is a heavy duty pair of shears on the side of the linesman's pliers (I think you may call them combination pliers these days).

I must be doing something wrong. Not owned or used a pair of side cutters for a very long time.
Granted, ive only been back on the tools full time for 3 years, but I remember using them years ago for speed stripping MICC.
I get by using a pair of combination pliers

Not necessarily, whatever you are comfortable with, I use a pair of cable shears, these run round the cable just fine, and as long as you don't put too much pressure on, do a nice cut and strip. Talking of pyro, do you remember the Cumic wedge-seal kit? Worked well if you got the tension right, (it was a modified Mole grip) some people had pots falling off while others anihilated the cable end! Didn't last long, so back to the forked lump of bar and that ---- pot crimp!

I've had my Bahco sidecutters for about 15 years and have given them a heck of a battering and they are still pretty sharp and very useable now. I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to buy a new pair if they do finally pack up, in fact, I wouldn't even look at any other make, a fantastic bit of kit. ( And no, I don't work for Bahco lol)

I have used Bahco gear for many years,and settled on the piano-wire capable 160mm or 180mm models,with the de-clutching return spring.

I renew them,about every 8 years,and have kept every previous set....including one with a neat "stripping notch".....yeah...we all know how i earnt that...;)

Hi Gary, Bahco and Knipex are two great cutters, but only if you use them for their intended use! Cutting fencing wire, welding rods, and piano wire will kill the edge---Iv'e seen it done---why do you think there is a heavy duty pair of shears on the side of the linesman's pliers (I think you may call them combination pliers these days).
IV gone for bahco in the end.

To be correct, what you call “shears on the side” ARE “side cutters” and what you call side cutters are actually “Diagonal cutters”

I have a pair of the large sized Bahco ergo sidecutters, bought after a reccomendation the edge was supposed to have one end for stripping and a slightly different geometry near the joint for cutting,

Great for cutting cables but I just didn't get on with them for stripping wires so they got relegated to the garage,

Maybe I was unlucky I'm a Bahco fan normally but not with these!

Bad luck on that one! sometimes you can get a tool that just 'does it' for you--sometimes you can't gel. I tried one of the go faster wonder SWA cable strippers--I'm back to using a junior hacksaw with an interesting shaped blade (I sat on it in the car) and a very sharp knife. Whilst on the subject of Bahco tools and SWA, I can recommend Bahco's 6" adjustable spanner, it opens really wide and the jaws are tapered and slim--brilliant.

Can you still get Elliot Lucas pliers and cutters?

think so. also some stuff on amazon

and of course ebay:

think so. also some stuff on amazon

and of course ebay:
Yeah cheers Tel just checked it out, the last pair I had, had the thick red Handles, just the ticket for hanging them in your back pocket looking the part, I'm on about Pliers, before Spoon comes up with one of his slightly smutty Spoonerisms. lol could be investing in a pair of those you linked Tel, just to rekindle the flame, oh hang on better not, I could be going to ELEX next month, don't want to push my luck to far with new tools, maybe later.

Reply to Bahco Side Cutters in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock