Discuss Bathroom Fan/Light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not realy truth, all fans need in isolator. One with no permenant supply will just need a double pole isolator but it still needs one.

if the fan has no perm supply and only comes on with the light...then the light switch is the isolator. It can be turned off for mechanical maintenance that way. Does a down lighter need a DP isolator? i would obviously fit one anyway before i branded a cowboy ;)

I agree with your reasoning Truth, but the light switch does not isolate the neutral which the regs call for (a downlight is not motor)

Hi picked up on this thread about bathroom fans.Can you clarify for me,must a bathroom fan have a isolation DP switch outside the room ?,or can it be inside.I lent my regs book to a friend and have yet to see it return.Current house at the moment has a fan in a downstairs bathroom feed from the lights,no means of isolation.
Regards,
Roger

Truth, we all know a 4'' manrose fan can rip a mans arm off.

I'm with you truth, in my own house and for people I know I do not fit an isolator if they so request, what's the pir non compliance? code 4? Hardly a hanging offence.

Otherwise I fit one, unfortunately a 4'' extract fan has been swept into the same clasification as 'motors' and 132.15.2 applies.

To hell with it, where are you hanging your screwdrivers? I'll hang mine next to them and we'll go for a pint.

its no laughing matter andy..... i could have really hurt someone..fitting a vicious 4inch manrose in a room WITHOUT a window or a switch.. i appreciate your support but i cannot go day to day knowing that im a code 4. im flying to close to the edge goose

Fan isolators are normally outside the room and are 3 pole Live Neutral and earth, this is to enable maintenance in rooms without windows. Even if the room does have windows a3 pole switch is still required to isolate the motor in case of emergency.

Cheers.........Howard;)

what is this window obsession everyone has?!!! who started this ?? own up. am i being retarded here ?but please what has a window got to do with mechanical maintenance or isolation of an electric fan. i want a proper answer!

I can understand the precuation with windows vista, but with windows 7 being more reliable you can do without the isolator.

Ive got XP ja recon im ok without an isolator or should i go wholesalers 2mo 2 get 1

Thanks for al the useful help !

So to summarise I do not have to have one and it can go as a code 4 on the certificate with not much to worry about.If i did fit one it has to be a isolater that only switched live conductors so 2 pole.No requirement to switch earth surely.A 3 pole is required to switch both live feeds,the permanent one for the overun and the switch live to start it when the light come one.

Thanks

Ive got XP ja recon im ok without an isolator or should i go wholesalers 2mo 2 get 1

hmm i think a pull switch is most reliable option if your going to stay with windows xp. that way wet hands stay away from the desktop...good practice in my opinion

Thanks for al the useful help !

So to summarise I do not have to have one and it can go as a code 4 on the certificate with not much to worry about.If i did fit one it has to be a isolater that only switched live conductors so 2 pole.No requirement to switch earth surely.A 3 pole is required to switch both live feeds,the permanent one for the overun and the switch live to start it when the light come one.

Thanks

Roger, you do have to have one, the code 4 refers to what you would put on a pir if you were testing an installation and found there not to be one for that installation. You would complete an eic.

what is this window obsession everyone has?!!! who started this ?? own up. am i being retarded here ?but please what has a window got to do with mechanical maintenance or isolation of an electric fan. i want a proper answer!

My NIC man said if the room has a window you can isolate the whole lighting circuit and still see to work on the fan with the light from the window (that is if there is a break in the clouds) so he says.:confused:
Regards Haj

Reply to Bathroom Fan/Light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock