Discuss Become a EV Installer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am an Electronics Engineer looking to diversify and would like to learn how to install and maintain EV chargers. I do not have any electrical qualifications or experience.
I have seen many short courses offering EV installation certification on completion.
Please can someone offer me some advice on the best route to take to fulfill my career change.
Best regards
Raj

The short courses will have entry requirements, as a minimum Initital verification (Inspection and Testing), which you wouldn't have without having Electrical Qualifications and experience and you wouldn't pass the E.V course without that knowledge /experience.

Hi all,
I am an Electronics Engineer looking to diversify and would like to learn how to install and maintain EV chargers. I do not have any electrical qualifications or experience.
I have seen many short courses offering EV installation certification on completion.
Please can someone offer me some advice on the best route to take to fulfill my career change.
Best regards
Raj

Welcome to the forum mate.

This is going to be an interesting one.
Not only will you be installing a new circuit (so it's notifiable under Part P) and you will have to issue a Electrical Installation Certificate, you will also be installing an EV system.

Do a search of the forum to see what you need for the IEC. I'm sure there have been many questions about what is needed to test and fill in one of these.

Not much help am I?? 😂

Welcome to the forum mate.

This is going to be an interesting one.
Not only will you be installing a new circuit (so it's notifiable under Part P) and you will have to issue a Electrical Installation Certificate, you will also be installing an EV system.

Do a search of the forum to see what you need for the IEC. I'm sure there have been many questions about what is needed to test and fill in one of these.

Not much help am I?? 😂
Thanks for the information. I really need some help and advice in deciding the best route to take i.e. which course would be suitable and how to gain practical experience too.

The short courses will have entry requirements, as a minimum Initital verification (Inspection and Testing), which you wouldn't have without having Electrical Qualifications and experience and you wouldn't pass the E.V course without that knowledge /experience.
Thanks for your reply. Some of the short courses are tailored for people with no previous experience. There are many to choose from. I wanted some advice on the best course and which qualifications I would need to install EV chargers.

There is no easy quick fire route.

You need underpinning knowledge and experience in the game.

You’ll need to do level 2 & 3 courses in electrical installation at college. Then gain site experience as a mate / improver. Undertake the NVQ level 3, gain qualifications on BS7671 (18th edition) and inspection and testing.

Gain more experience, join NAPIT / NICEIC, so you can notify works. Then do an EV install course.

Or you could do a 25 day course for the little price of £2,341.... which claims "is designed specifically for those who are new to the industry and teaches you both domestic electrics and EV car charging point installation."
Also a forum sponsor.

Not sure I would hire anyone straight out of one of these courses to do my EV charging point, would rather hire someone with experience.

Or you could do a 25 day course for the little price of £2,341.... which claims "is designed specifically for those who are new to the industry and teaches you both domestic electrics and EV car charging point installation."
Also a forum sponsor.

Not sure I would hire anyone straight out of one of these courses to do my EV charging point, would rather hire someone with experience.
Yes, I have seen this course but I think it takes to step 1 of 4. So it is a starting point but only allows you to work under the supervision of an experienced electrician.

Also a forum sponsor.

It's worth noting that the 2919-01 and 2919-02 have/are being phased out and replaced with the 2921 series and will require the NVQ as a prerequisite.

....but only allows you to work under the supervision of an experienced electrician.

Sounds like good advice to me.
I don't think anyone wants someone installing them an EV charging point just after 25 days training, without being supervised.

So it is a starting point but only allows you to work under the supervision of an experienced electrician.

I reckon you would actually learn much more this way. You cannot beat the wisdom gained from others who have done what you want to do and already experienced all the problems and mistakes you would make without their counsel. A period of time doing this would make passing the exams a doddle. It is why I think apprenticeships and journeyman's time are so valuable. You undervalue this way forward. Much more fun and interesting than sitting in a classroom.

Last edited:
EV chargers, although fairly simple in theory, could bite you in the backside quite severely if installed without experience to go along with the paper qualification.
It says a lot that experienced electricians are cautious when installing them. Some don't install them at all.

EV chargers, although fairly simple in theory, could bite you in the backside quite severely if installed without experience to go along with the paper qualification.
It says a lot that experienced electricians are cautious when installing them. Some don't install them at all.
Thanks for the advice. I have seen some hybrid courses C&G 2365 level 2, would that be a starter course. I need online study with weekend practical sessions as I can't get time off work to attend for block training. Anyone heard of a company called totalskills? They offer the flexibility that I require while studying and doing the practical aspect over the weekend.

I looked on the C&G website and there is no mention of an NVQ
See here; Electric Vehicle Charging Installations - https://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/building-services-industry/electrical-installation/2921-electric-vehicle-charging-installations#tab=information

Around Page 6
Screenshot_20230307_021149_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Attachments

• 2921-33_qualification-overview-pdf.ashx.pdf
    469.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2921-32_qualification-overview-pdf.ashx.pdf
    449.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2921-33_qualification-overview-pdf.ashx.pdf
    469.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2921-32_qualification-overview-pdf.ashx.pdf
    449.8 KB · Views: 0
It's worth noting that the 2919-01 and 2919-02 have/are being phased out and replaced with the 2921 series and will require the NVQ as a prerequisite.
Okay, I thought you meant an NVQ attached to the EVC course. I see Trade Skills bundle the EVC with their Domestic Installer Part P course so how can they get away with not meeting the requirements?

Reply to Become a EV Installer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net