Discuss Becoming an electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’m 20 and looking to train as an electrician but doing apprenticeship is impossible for me as I have a mortgage to pay for and a lot of other bills etc. I’ve been looking at short courses but I don’t believe they can train you to be a level 3 in 4 weeks so I’ve been looking at night school to become fully qualified but all the jobs I’ve been looking at say 5 years experience minimum required, will night school class as experience or does that experience start after I’m qualified? Thank you for reading.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Are you looking into the domestic side of things? This is pretty saturated at the moment. If you can, look into commercial or industrial.
Short courses can be fine for some people. It teaches you the basics. As long as you know this then all is good.
I'm presuming night school will be similar.
I'd say that you only learn experience while on the job and it's not quick. That's why employees are asking for 5 years experience.

Are you looking into the domestic side of things? This is pretty saturated at the moment. If you can, look into commercial or industrial.
Short courses can be fine for some people. It teaches you the basics. As long as you know this then all is good.
I'd say that you only learn experience while on the job and it's not quick. That's why employees are asking for 5 years experience.
[/QUOTE
Thank you f
Hi mate thank you for replying, yeah it covers domestic and commercial. On here they don’t recommend the short courses however I was going to do a level 3 4 week course then carry on my usual job and pick up the odd job on the weekends to get experience to then do it full time self employed. But I had a think and thought If I’m doing it I may as well do domestic and commercial so then there will be more work out there instead of just one type.

Some people do slag off the short courses. That's usually cause they are expensive and they try and make out that after the course you are all set to go and do things like rewire a house.
Some intelligent people on here have done the sorts courses. It's best if they give their thoughts on them. Just know your limitations after doing one. They are not for everyone. All depends on your circumstances.

It all depends Callan which route you want to take. To become an industry recognised electrican then the Domestic & Commercial level 2 and level 3 ( which I think you were saying night school) then the Am2 and NVQ will get the gold card. This course P/T is normally 2 to 3 year.

The short courses will teach the basics but remember it is just a week of practical you learn and as Spoon said some people take to it a lot quicker then others and many have become successful going down this route.

I was going to do a level 3 4 week course

Hi Callan,

Just out of interest, where have you seen a level 3 course that takes just 4 weeks? I have seen domestic installer courses that take 4/5 weeks but for level 3 diploma the shortest courses I have seen are 16 weeks spread over 32 weeks (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off).

Cheers, SR

It all depends Callan which route you want to take. To become an industry recognised electrican then the Domestic & Commercial level 2 and level 3 ( which I think you were saying night school) then the Am2 and NVQ will get the gold card. This course P/T is normally 2 to 3 year.

The short courses will teach the basics but remember it is just a week of practical you learn and as Spoon said some people take to it a lot quicker then others and many have become successful going down this route.
thank you for the reply, so if I do night school for 3 years does that go down as my experience or do I have to do weekends with an electrician
[automerge]1589821256[/automerge]
Some people do slag off the short courses. That's usually cause they are expensive and they try and make out that after the course you are all set to go and do things like rewire a house.
Some intelligent people on here have done the sorts courses. It's best if they give their thoughts on them. Just know your limitations after doing one. They are not for everyone. All depends on your circumstances.
yeah very true, I’m thinking if I’m spending £3000 on a short course I may as well do both commercial and domestic for more money and get a lot of experience to then set up on my own or with a company in the future. I’m a site supervisor at the minute and it’s the best job in the summer but after that it’s hard especially rain days and snow days without pay
[automerge]1589823753[/automerge]
Hi Callan,

Just out of interest, where have you seen a level 3 course that takes just 4 weeks? I have seen domestic installer courses that take 4/5 weeks but for level 3 diploma the shortest courses I have seen are 16 weeks spread over 32 weeks (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off).

Cheers, SR
Technique learning solutions
Then go to tech 20

Last edited:
No chance 4 weeks for the level 3. The project itself took some people 4 weeks, plus 11 exams including practical's. Have you got a link Callan to this course?

No chance 4 weeks for the level 3. The project itself took some people 4 weeks, plus 11 exams including practical's. Have you got a link Callan to this course?
Technique learning solutions then click on tech 20 it keeps saying the link doesn’t work

I'd be impressed with anyone who can learn and complete all that in 20 days.
That’s what has pushed me towards night school mate and why I put it on here to get advice off other electricians

I'd be impressed with anyone who can learn and complete all that in 20 days.

Defiantly but I have got a feeling this is not the level 3 2365 they're selling.

Hi Callan
This is a level 2 C&G basic domestic course
The level 3 parts are the add ons - like the 18th edition, 2391, PAT, and the building Regs

If you are going to any, go for the 16week, at least this will give a better insight and a bit more knowledge.
However, I would add that combined with this finding a local electrician who you can work with at week ends etc., to gain the real experience, But to put yourself forward for this it would be like some on here have done offering your time free in reward for the knowledge of their wishom.

Reply to Becoming an electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock