Discuss Best TV on demand combos for cheapest?? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

Thinking of ditching virgins big cahona bundle and possibly tv subscriptions altogether, what are the best services I can get for minimal outlay?

I'm paying over £100 per month and my contract will end soon, I am aiming to be less than £50 per month, so here is what I was thinking if you would let me know your thoughts...

#Boradband and landline.
#Freeview arial (if needed).
#Amazon TV box HD - With apps put on including Netflix, Prime, iplayer, itv player etc.
#(Possibly and/or nowtv).

My wife just watches soaps and occational footy, some movies and kids tv/movies.
I generally can take of leave the telly. That is why I find £100+ per month hard to justify.

Does anyone have any similar setups as I described above - let us know your views.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jamie

If you join BT as a new customer they often have good deals for the first year and give you a prepaid mastercard for x amount when you join.
It might be worth you ringing up virgin and sayign you want to leave, they will almost certainly offer you a much better deal to stay! at very least they will match new customer promos possibly beat it.

Vodafone fibre broadband is pretty decent and you don't have to pay line rental can get it from £20-£27 per month depending on what speed you want and if you have vodafone mobile.

If you join BT as a new customer they often have good deals for the first year and give you a prepaid mastercard for x amount when you join.
It might be worth you ringing up virgin and sayign you want to leave, they will almost certainly offer you a much better deal to stay! at very least they will match new customer promos possibly beat it.

Had to have BT Broadband on a new build. Organised it today, and the sales bod reckons their tv package would be a lot (lots) cheaper than sky or virgin. Didn't enquire about details.

For fear of being reported to the authorities, I wont mention a KODI box :eek:
The ISP's are stopping them connecting to t'internet now as they can identify the device being used to access the web, and following a high court order can disconnect your connection and in serious cases report you!
@Midwest , i have bt fibre to the premises being on a new build where bt have a monopoly for so many years as they put the system in, the sports channels are free with my package and the other channels are usually much cheaper than with virgin media aswell.

The ISP's are stopping them connecting to t'internet now as they can identify the device being used to access the web, and following a high court order can disconnect your connection and in serious cases report you!

That depends, my IPTV providor is still going strong and even shows the 3PM kick offs which are supposed to be blocked, all for £75 a year.

The devices are a regular PC, Xbox one and a laptop that I "don't" have Kodi on.
Kodi itself is not illegal, nor is streaming official IPTV over it.
The grey area is downloading 3rd party applications that allow you to watch "premium" channels that you would otherwise pay for.
It is also illegal (AFAIK) to sell Kodi "fully loaded" boxes ie on a modified amazon firestick.

The ISP's can monitor data traffic patterns but cant tell the difference between the data used on say, BBC iplayer, or someone streaming sports or movies without paying.

They can sense when someone is using torrent style downloading techniques and can slow you down for that, but again, there may be legitimate uses for that technology.

My advice to the OP, is to contact your provider and say you are leaving. Most of the time they will entice you to stay with a reduced monthly payment, but that means signing a new contract of 12,18 or 24 months
It would be a serious invasion of privacy if the ISP's could actually see what you were watching online

I've got a FreeSat box as I was fed up with the constant price hikes from Sky to pay for prima donnas kicking a ball around a field. It has quite a few apps YouTube, NetFlix etc., but as Channel 4 and BBC have a controlling interest in FreeView they've pulled the plug on 4HD and 4OD

As I'm an Apple fanboy I also have Apple TV. My cycling and Motorsport addictions are catered for with the EuroSport app

The devices are a regular PC, Xbox one and a laptop that I "don't" have Kodi on.
Kodi itself is not illegal, nor is streaming official IPTV over it.
The grey area is downloading 3rd party applications that allow you to watch "premium" channels that you would otherwise pay for.
It is also illegal (AFAIK) to sell Kodi "fully loaded" boxes ie on a modified amazon firestick.

The ISP's can monitor data traffic patterns but cant tell the difference between the data used on say, BBC iplayer, or someone streaming sports or movies without paying.

They can sense when someone is using torrent style downloading techniques and can slow you down for that, but again, there may be legitimate uses for that technology.

My advice to the OP, is to contact your provider and say you are leaving. Most of the time they will entice you to stay with a reduced monthly payment, but that means signing a new contract of 12,18 or 24 months
It would be a serious invasion of privacy if the ISP's could actually see what you were watching online

First IPTV, its okay.. but not the best thing out there.... Streams are transcoded down to low bitrates thus reducing bandwidth demand on the remote server. So hd is not really hd.

To stream hd channel takes 18mbps, no server can do that to make it viable business...

Reply to Best TV on demand combos for cheapest?? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net