Discuss big unresolved problem for 2 years in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

daft question... its not fitted with a light sensing device that dims the lights down when natural light is optimum etc... i have an office complex that i look after and all teh lights near the window are at dim level due to this set up... move 1-2 feet in and the next bank are at full brightness!!!??

Hi guys ill get straight to the point, I'm on a 3 phase system trying to resolve what many have tryed and failed over the last 2 years, the problem is compact pll lights dimming right down intermitently throught, actions taken are as followed...all other circuits switched off still problem, monetring device on incomer set up twice and left for a month and found no diffrence in voltage, voltage at ligts ok at 237v, swapped phase that circuit is fed from and still persists, tryed new light still same incoming voltage ok haven't tryed zs yet but now going to try

Be great to get this problem finaly resolved so please come forward with you're vews chers guys
Had the same problem with office lights, 55w pl-l for quite a while, still not got to the bottom of it. New installation about 4 years ago. Loads of machinery involved. Extra a/c units fitted later so may be worth looking into. Not been near for a few months (slow paying for other jobs done for them at present so a bit miffed). No doubt they will be onto me when the nights start drawing in more. If I find anything useful I'll let you know. Good luck.

daft question... its not fitted with a light sensing device that dims the lights down when natural light is optimum etc... i have an office complex that i look after and all teh lights near the window are at dim level due to this set up... move 1-2 feet in and the next bank are at full brightness!!!??

DALI units have a light sensor that is supposed to be situated away from the building windows and all street lights that are in a direct line of sight so that this doesn't happen, I had this at a new office building in Glasgow and the Light sensor was fitted onto the wall outside below gutter level, it got moved onto the middle of the roof next to the Air conditioning plant and the problem was sorted...

Is the lighting on one phase?
Are the phases balanced correctly over the whole installation?
if the lighting phase is heavily loaded (dropping the voltage down) and the other 2 phases lightly loaded, when a piece of three phase equiptment starts this will further drop the voltage on the phase that is loaded up
Difficult to explain but make sure all phases for the whole installation are balanced correctly!

That contactor must be favourite,how was it by-passed? Sometimes taking it out of circuit altogether is necessary with suitably sized links installed. If not,bother those neutral terminals.Good luck.

Reply to big unresolved problem for 2 years in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net