Discuss Bit of advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sim22

Hi Guys

Looking for your views on this.

My dad has had someone in to do some work, fitted a new cu, so far so good apparently, BUT when testing after cu change is now saying wiring is shot due to high resistance reading in parts of the circuit ( furthest away from cu as I have been told ) I know there is a problem with damp in that area so may explain that (sockets have been changed in the past due to corrosion ). He has asked me to have a look as he thinks he may be getting scammed ( charged £300+ for cu change )

I look forward to your views + advice

sounds about right to me. you may find that the high resistance is just down to poor connections in sockets. could be tarnished due to damp problems. couls be junction boxes under floors. which circuit/s are the problems on? what readings has he put on the SOTR for R1+R2 etc.?

Mentioned to him could be problem with sockets as you said, but haven't seen what has been done myself ( gonna pop round today + have a look ). What started alarm bells ringing was when I asked him what readings had been recorded, he doesn't think he's got any paperwork for that. Will post more when I've been round. Could be genuine but he was also told to expect the system to trip out more due to high resistance !!!

won't trip out due to high resistance. you need to determine whether it's high resistance on the R1/R2 continuity readings, or if it's low IR readings. the latter is what would make RCDs trip. make sure you take MFT with you and get some readings.

Hmm

The proper procedure is to carry out a test of the circuits BEFORE changing the consumer unit.
That way any potential problems can be flagged and resolved beforehand.
The test results should have been recorded.

It sounds like he changed the CU for a reasonable price (£300ish is good), then when he came to test he found high Zs readings and so didn't want to complete the paperwork until it is sorted.
My guessing (and I'm being generous) is that he may have carried out a quick Ze test, IR test and maybe checked for shared neutrals before carrying out the work, but he's been caught out with the high Zs of a circuit and needs to investigate.
Very hard for us to comment on what is actually going on with the circuit, as we haven't seen it, but maybe you could talk to the electrician and find out exactly what he is saying needs doing, and why.

It sounds like he changed the CU for a reasonable price (£300ish is good), then when he came to test he found high Zs readings and so didn't want to complete the paperwork until it is sorted.
My guessing (and I'm being generous) is that he may have carried out a quick Ze test, IR test and maybe checked for shared neutrals before carrying out the work, but he's been caught out with the high Zs of a circuit and needs to investigate.
Very hard for us to comment on what is actually going on with the circuit, as we haven't seen it, but maybe you could talk to the electrician and find out exactly what he is saying needs doing, and why.

Aye .... let's not hang the bloke without giving him a fair trial.

unless we're in hartlepool.

Even in Hartlepool, they gave the monkey a fair trial before they hung it. ;)

It's still a bit of a touchy subject with the good folk of Hartlepool. I used to play in a Rock 'n' Roll band & we made the mistake of opening a show at Hartlepool Catholic club with Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business" & spent the rest of the gig wondering why they didn't like us !!

It's still a bit of a touchy subject with the good folk of Hartlepool. I used to play in a Rock 'n' Roll band & we made the mistake of opening a show at Hartlepool Catholic club with Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business" & spent the rest of the gig wondering why they didn't like us !!
We did a gig in Liverpool, after the third song our singer used to always have a bit banter with the crowd and that night was no exception. "It's nice to see so many people here tonight" he said "I thought you'd all be out on the rob"
No one laughed, we did hear the door slamming as people left though

We did a gig in Liverpool, after the third song our singer used to always have a bit banter with the crowd and that night was no exception. "It's nice to see so many people here tonight" he said "I thought you'd all be out on the rob"
No one laughed, we did hear the door slamming as people left though

:oops:

Reply to Bit of advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net