Discuss Boiler control fed from plugtop in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just had a call from a customer who has asked me to replace his switched fused spur for his boiler control into a single 13A socket and to put a plug top onto the supply flex.
His reason is, so when he gets a power cut he can can plug the boiler control into his small Honda petrol generator via an extension lead (portable site type).
I can see his logic but I am dubious about taking the fixed equipment of the boiler control off of the hard- wiring, it goes against the grain a little bit!
He is quite persistent but is a good customer so don't want him to think I'm being awkward, so need to back it up with a regulation but cant think what?

Thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

no reason not to. 3A fuse in the plug top and away you go. the plug/socket gives you local isolation which is all the regs. require.

You'll be hard pressed to find a regulation to prevent this.

But unless the generator has a decent regulated voltage output he may find he ends up with an expensive repair bill to fix the damage it could do.

he'd probably be better off using a pure sine wave inverter off a car/leisure battery.

A 13amp plug with the correct fuse fitted is actually quite a good method of isolation for a boiler as even plumbers will/might understand that removing the plug will isolate the power. :smile5:

How many power cuts does he have normally?

If Grid power cuts are a common problem you could install a duel supply Isolation switches set up at the CU. Wont look very pretty in a domestic home but it is suitable for his needs/concerns. Locking off is essential and an instructions list will have to be placed near the Iso set up but it is do-able and can feed the house (obviously only for restricted circuits... lights, small socket circuit and his boiler).

Only done this once in a remote country side house but it works great. All depends on the home owners ability to understand the importance of locking off Generation supply whilst under Grid supply etc etc etc. Also change the generator plug to a 16A commando :wink:

Thanks all for your comments, really helpful. I will go ahead and do it for him based on everyone's approval! via un-switched outlet as suggested.

Thanks again

Mine is on a 13A plug with a 3A fuse fitted. As others have said, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Daz

You'll find the gas man will come out for a boiler service and tell him that it has to be on a Switched Spur Outlet but plug and socket set up is absolutely fine

Yeah I've heard that also. Bet they can't give a good reason for it though eh! Daz

Maybe so. Strange if they do actually specify this though. Daz

Note: Mains supply to the boiler must be
through a fused double pole isolator
situated adjacent to the appliance. The
isolator must have a contact separation
of 3 mm minimum in all poles.

(taken from: INSTRUCTION MANUAL INSTALLATION, COMMISSIONING & SERVICING WALL HUNG RSF GAS-FIRED CONDENSING COMBINATION BOILER GREENSTAR CDi FOR SEALED CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEMS AND MAINS FED DOMESTIC HOT WATER)

[h=3]greenstar-cdi-installation-manual - Abacus Flame[/h]

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago I had a really big fall out with the plumber on site about this topic.

New builds, 8 houses and all with combi boilers. I fitted DP switched fused spurs. Mr plumber says that is wrong and I have to fit a socket! The conversation went a little like this:-

Erm.. why do I have to install a socket?

Because it says so in the installation book.

Why does it ask for a socket?

So we can turn it off.

"Use the bloody switch and turn it off" (or words of that effect)

They say a plug, it has to be a plug.

:banghead: Phone the help line and tell them that the electrician has fitted a double pole switched fuse spur and is that adequate?

It took 30+ mins on the phone to speak to someone that knew what they are on about to "yes a DP switched fused spur is more than acceptable".

Bloody plumbers

Reply to Boiler control fed from plugtop in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net