Discuss Bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KNIPEX

just wondering guys your views on suplmentry bonding in commercial properties.

i alkways cross bond once between hot and cold.

anyone else bond metal sinktops?? nic told me there is no need to do them anymore.

seems some electrcians bond metal cable tray, some dont, same as metal trunking, they dont bother, however once swa cables are connected to it it would be bonded if they link bandjos.

also banjos on swa seen many installations lately where banjos havnt been drilled or linked wiv earth.

i was always told that even if you have a seperate earth the banjos need to be done bonded with cable aswell, unless you use a core in the swa for an earth.

sorry for the rant, just seems to be one rule for one and one for another.

looking forward to hearing your views on the above.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE
so many colleagues have given me their opinion over the years and niceic havent been much help
in the end i bought snags and solutions part1 EARTHING and BONDING and the light went on
in the 17th supp bonding can be ommitted under certain circumstances kitchens /toilets (not bathrooms ) didnt need to be done under the 16th /monacles ,a metal box would be part of the earth path
cable tray /trunking the regs say eqiupment not "and or "containment so are they exposedconductive parts?
this is one topic that needs debating and clarifying

too may people throw geer nad yellow cable in when they shouldnt

why bond accross hot and cold?

it is not safer to do it, it is safer NOT to do it

I would hate to be the one who experienced a fault, touch a pipe which could well have been isolated from the earth, well thanks you have just introduced a path back to earth for me - ouch!!!!!!

My view is: either something is already an extraneous conductive path, in which case it part of equipotential system and zone, or it is NOT an extraneous conductive path, in which case there is no earth potetnial to complete the shock path in case of a fault

if you bond where you shouldnt (as you are doing) you are introducing earth paths (shock paths) where there may not have been any before

I think the 17th has gone in the right direction, bathrooms on an RCD, and as long as the other requirements are met, and any extraneous is less than the magic 1667 ohms, no supps are needed.

swa monacles should be drilled to provide a strong durable connection
if you're using the armour as a cpc then it needs earthing properly if you're not then its an exposed conductive part and needs earthing properly

so you dont do any cross bonding????????

what happends if cable tray becomes live and no supplementy earth, you touch it and have a nice electric shock????

also i was told to always crossbond hot and cold????

im looking foward to my 17th edtion course can see many many debates going on.

so you dont do any cross bonding????????

what happends if cable tray becomes live and no supplementy earth, you touch it and have a nice electric shock????

also i was told to always crossbond hot and cold????

im looking foward to my 17th edtion course can see many many debates going on.

hi ,
Im confused,which is nothing new!,i always Earth cable tray ,and bond all the Banjos/monocles together ,i also always use copper links to maintain continuity at the joins ,normally on both sides of the tray (cosmetic reasons),i also file and emery paper the paint off fuseboards etc,to make sure i get a good earth;)
so am i doing it wrong now,whats changed? and if its in the design spec ,should one query it?:confused:

interesting reading these posts

i guess some people need to swot up on the defintitions of bonding and earthing

they are different things, and are there for different purposes

when i hear people say terms like "supplementary earth" i tend to stop listening

not really the answer i was hoping for :(

was just a straight forward question, no need to be funny about it.

thought we were all on here to help each other and give views, advice help etc.

No one is being funny, not that I can see anyway, and yes we all try to help AND learn from each other, thats what I like about this site because no one knows everything do they.
This is a good subject that is worth proper discussion (i think) as there seems to be much confusion about what is actually required, and what is actually carried out.
When I worked at the water board, their spec had us earthing everything, including handrails, mesh floors, cantilever brackets, the lot. Some of this I thought unececsary, but if it wasnt done then it was snagged.

Earthing and bonding saves lives, lets talk and learn !

there was no intention to be funny about anything, i was amplifying the point that there is confusion about the terms, and some people could do with rereading the definitions (not neccassrily you, but if the cap its and all that)

and yes we are here to help each other, which is why i gave a rather extensive reply to this question, and which is why i spend on average two hours EVERY day on here helping people - I ask very few questions myself, but answer a great many, but the benefit to me is that we all learn from each other;)

What is the meaning of life Shakey?

strongbow and kebabs

and then you die

erm.....probably sooner than the teetotal vegetarian, but hey, who wants to live till 108 on nutroasts and carrot juice:p

Reply to Bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock