Discuss Brother E550W ELECTRICIANS PRINTER in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Bought one the nice fancy Brother label printers... Only £114 from toolstation.
Anybody got any tips for getting the most out of it. tricks for speeding up fuse board and consumer unit labels would be welcome.
Completely different to my previous one. having a play at the moment but quite impressed with the various functions.

Get the software installed on your PC and you can design labels and upload them to the printer... I have one with my company logo on, the NAPIT logo and my membership number on.

You can save labels you create on the device to the internal storage as well, useful for things like common warning labels.

The board labelling functions... dead easy to use. Common module size is 18mm, so once you click the button for that option you'll get a menu where you can set the base size (18.0mm) You have to enter 1, 8, 0 to get that. You can specify the number of sections and the separator you want to use (I usually use the solid outline as the others seem to be a little less visible). Press the down arrow in the cursor cluster and you can get to the second menu page where you'll find the 'Advanced' option, select Yes and then click OK. When you do that you can specify the width of each section. 36.0 for the main switch and 2 module items. When you've set that up, click OK and you'll be editing the text. I only print these on 24mm tape and they look great. For RCDs I usually just put RCD press the new-line key and then put an arrow => or <= to indicate which devices the RCDs protecting.

Hope that helps... a little :)

Fantastic bit of kit.

Get the software installed on your PC and you can design labels and upload them to the printer... I have one with my company logo on, the NAPIT logo and my membership number on.

You can save labels you create on the device to the internal storage as well, useful for things like common warning labels.

The board labelling functions... dead easy to use. Common module size is 18mm, so once you click the button for that option you'll get a menu where you can set the base size (18.0mm) You have to enter 1, 8, 0 to get that. You can specify the number of sections and the separator you want to use (I usually use the solid outline as the others seem to be a little less visible). Press the down arrow in the cursor cluster and you can get to the second menu page where you'll find the 'Advanced' option, select Yes and then click OK. When you do that you can specify the width of each section. 36.0 for the main switch and 2 module items. When you've set that up, click OK and you'll be editing the text. I only print these on 24mm tape and they look great. For RCDs I usually just put RCD press the new-line key and then put an arrow => or <= to indicate which devices the RCDs protecting.

Hope that helps... a little :)

Fantastic bit of kit.
way too techy for me. a 99p sharpie every time. o_O

Thanks @SparkyChick
It really is a great bit of kit and at only £114 too good to miss. will more than pay for itself.

Been playing with 12mm tape and got the hang of the basics for labelling consumer units, the advice on double width for main switch etc is very useful, was wondering that!will give it some more attention later in week.
I like how they include a disc with the software on, haven't had a cd/dvd drive on a laptop in about 5 years!! will have to go on the brother website and download it.

Thanks @SparkyChick
It really is a great bit of kit and at only £114 too good to miss. will more than pay for itself.

Been playing with 12mm tape and got the hang of the basics for labelling consumer units, the advice on double width for main switch etc is very useful, was wondering that!will give it some more attention later in week.
I like how they include a disc with the software on, haven't had a cd/dvd drive on a laptop in about 5 years!! will have to go on the brother website and download it.

If you have an iPad you use on site, get the app for that because it's quite good as well. It links to the printer via some RF coms method but you get a reasonably good editor on there which makes it easier to put labels together. I tried the Android version on my phone and I just couldn't get it to work.

The flag style cable markers are pretty neat as well. Used them a few times to label bonding and earthing in boards.

Reply to Brother E550W ELECTRICIANS PRINTER in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock