Discuss Bs7671:2008 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Now that the new regs have now come out, what is the general opinion of them.

Do you think the IEE sat down and thought about the problems which would and have arisen from them being introduced with installers/electricians not interpretating them and understanding them correctly.

Last edited:
i personally think that all the iee members etc all have a share in rcd's and there all making money out of it!!

true there are a few areas but prodominantley to me its just implementing rcd/rcbo protecction to circuits, im still gonna work with Zs and not just rely on rcd for ADS and all this 1667 business

Many a true word spoken in jest. I f you look at the members list you will see that there are representatives from circuit breaker manufacturers, cable manufacturers, white goods manufacturers etc etc.

You can imagine the discussion after it has been decided that RCDs are required on all circuits: the guy representing the white goods industry says "hang on Nearly all my industry's products have inherent earth faults. I can't go back to my members and say they have to redesign all their products."

"That's all right," says one of the other committee members, "we'll just add in that you can have dedicated circuits as well."

If you ever get the chance to see testing on cables they are worth watching. Have seen over 50 amps passed through 2.5mm2 without it breaking (ok it was a slow current build up).

All those on the committee will look after the interests of their specific market sector.

Overall the regs are the regs and irrespective of what we think we have to apply them.

Perhaps I am just becoming synical.

Many a true word spoken in jest. I f you look at the members list you will see that there are representatives from circuit breaker manufacturers, cable manufacturers, white goods manufacturers etc etc.

You can imagine the discussion after it has been decided that RCDs are required on all circuits: the guy representing the white goods industry says "hang on Nearly all my industry's products have inherent earth faults. I can't go back to my members and say they have to redesign all their products."

"That's all right," says one of the other committee members, "we'll just add in that you can have dedicated circuits as well."

If you ever get the chance to see testing on cables they are worth watching. Have seen over 50 amps passed through 2.5mm2 without it breaking (ok it was a slow current build up).

All those on the committee will look after the interests of their specific market sector.

Overall the regs are the regs and irrespective of what we think we have to apply them.

Perhaps I am just becoming synical.

Tony

Agree with you when worked at Airbus UK @ Broughton they had all socket circuits on 100mA RCD because of computers on ring mains due to filters on them.

Love to see the problems which companies have to tell clients after PIR's this is what the 17th edtion tells us to do.:eek:

Reply to Bs7671:2008 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net