Discuss Cable Rating in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mark

Could someone please tell me what the rating of this cable will be.

I have 65m of twin and earth and 10m or armoured both of which are 6mm. An outdoor joint box connects the two wires together.
(75m of cable in total)

I want to know how much current that cable can handle at that length

Thanks in advance.

Could someone please tell me what the rating of this cable will be.

I have 65m of twin and earth and 10m or armoured both of which are 6mm. An outdoor joint box connects the two wires together.
(75m of cable in total)

I want to know how much current that cable can handle at that length

Thanks in advance.

& the installation method is?

Mark,

the current is fixed for the type of cable and installation method (dont know the value cause i aint got the regs in front of me), the length is irrelevant. if you you are talking about volts drop, then you would need to calculate the current usage to work that out using mV/A/M

then you are absolutely fine. off the top of my head 2.5mm is 27 amps using method 1, i have a feeling 10mm is something like 64 amps, you got to be up in the 40-50 amp range.

what size breaker you putting it on - you could look in table 7.1 of the OSG, but I would be assuming a design current of about 10A (be helpfull to know what was going on the sockets)

Your only issue is the volts drop, and i would work it in reverse. Work out how many amps you would have to pull to lose 9.2V at the end using the tabulated mV/A/M rating for the cable, and as long as this value is MORE than what you are actually going to pull then your fine!

job done!

Just to add what will be going on the sockets. One will be used for general use - i.e hedgecutters, radios etc and the other will (most of the time) have a caravan plugged in to it for charging of batteries and a very small heater during winter to stop the water from freezing. Thanks for your help!

Reply to Cable Rating in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net