Discuss Cables to TV on chimney breast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm rewiring my house at the minute and am faced with a situation I've never had to solve before.
I want to run buried containment round my chimney breast to carry cables that aren't power to a wall mounted TV via a hairy plate.
I'm thinking 2 HDMI and 1 cat6 cable so am thinking 2 x 25mm conduits would suffice ?

Anyone offer any advice ?

I'm rewiring my house at the minute and am faced with a situation I've never had to solve before.
I want to run buried containment round my chimney breast to carry cables that aren't power to a wall mounted TV via a hairy plate.
I'm thinking 2 HDMI and 1 cat6 cable so am thinking 2 x 25mm conduits would suffice ?

Anyone offer any advice ?
What is a Hairy plate??
Sensible answers please:)
[automerge]1588353096[/automerge]
A brush entry cable plate you mean?

recently done similar. chased plaster depth. installed some 40mm x 16mm mini trunking onto the brick.cables in, bit of pva over lid, filled and skimmed.
[automerge]1588353965[/automerge]
Is the chimney still active.
it goes for an allowed walk each day in compliance with lockdown regs. and does yoga every evening. :mad: :mad:

Not currently but may be put into use with a log burner in the future, but that would require a liner. I'm trying not to use the actual chimney void if possible though.
best not to go into the void. as you say, a log burner exhaust gets fair warm.

Now that is a great idea.
It's gonna have to come low down on the list below the other 349 jobs of more importance before the house is finished I'm afraid though :laughing: :sob:
I know the feeling mate. I’ve just refurbished my mother in-laws bungalow. She paid for the material but I organised all the trades and also I rewired it and skimmed it all for free grats. I’ve just done a loft conversion on my house, upgraded from vented to unvented on the heating system, I’ve just re skimmed one of the bedrooms and mist coated it. I think the do as you likeys done the driveway before I brought it as it’s all sunk so I’m digging it up this weekend...loads to do.

I know the feeling mate. I’ve just refurbished my mother in-laws bungalow. She paid for the material but I organised all the trades and also I rewired it and skimmed it all for free grats. I’ve just done a loft conversion on my house, upgraded from vented to unvented on the heating system, I’ve just re skimmed one of the bedrooms and mist coated it. I think the do as you likeys done the driveway before I brought it as it’s all sunk so I’m digging it up this weekend...loads to do.

Wow. MIL is doing the Sunday dinners for the foreseeable then ? :laughing:

We took possession of our house a week before lockdown. Plan was to do it up, move in, and rent our old place out.
New place needs full rewire, full skim throughout, one chimney breast to fully drop, new skirtings all round, fully decorate, new carpets throughout, boiler already replaced and moved before lockdown.

In the light of all my work folding up for now, we have decided to do the bathroom and kitchen at a later date and save the money for beans on toast instead. :laughing:

I have used 38 or 40mm trunking, and ran 2 HDMI a Cat6 and a coax/sat cable through it, with hairy plates either end. I used flat ribbon HDMI which seemed to work well, and saved space.

Reply to Cables to TV on chimney breast in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net