Discuss Cables touching hot pipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

chriso

DIY
Reaction score
Electrician has done rewire, plumber with not much space has some central heating and hot water pipes touching in some places. See images attached. Shown is two rad pipes touching a phone & cat6 cable, central heating touching boiler earth & power, same with hot tap for sink resting on the cable.
What should I do here to try and minimise long term damage to cables? When you can't move the cables or pipes now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 09.40.31.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 09.40.49.png
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 09.40.58.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
The best bet woukd be to wrap the pipes in something where the cables touch them.
Have a look at exhaust heat wrap, avialble quite cheap on ebay/amazon etc, it's a heat insulating cloth tape used to wrap around exhaust pipes in engine bays so will be more than up to this task.

As bove, just a small bit of lagging or something to space the pipe away from the cable where it touches.
Very simple cheap solution

on the pipe that isnt fixed to the joist, i could use this foam insulation from screwfix?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/economy-pipe-insulation-15mm-x-13mm-x-1m/72357

ideally i need to pick somethign up today as the floor is getting sealed with ply/vinyl.

Just slide on tubular pipe insulation. A good plumber would have insulated all the pipes under the floorboards as part of the job.
This post is a perfect illustration of why I expanded my electrical contracting business to include plumbing and heating about 45 years ago.

Reply to Cables touching hot pipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm having a new boiler fitted in a new location. I need to provide power for the boiler which I'm looking to do myself. Boiler: Ideal Logic...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I need some help with an electrical issue I'm experiencing. I recently created a new circuit for an electric oven at my friend's...
Replies
Views
Hi All. Its been ages since I have been on here- Fortunately log in details stored on PC. I have just had a new boiler and 210 ltr unvented tank...
Replies
Views
I've always thought I was quite good a wiring heating systems, I can do Y plan, S plan, UFH set ups, "normal" thermal stores etc, you name it and...
Replies
Views
Hi, Small flat, currently has a small'ish feed water tank, top of a cupboard, feed through a wall into under stairs cupboard. Hot water tank...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock