Discuss Cables under bath safety concern in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 153330

I just had a water leak and had to take the side of the bath off and delighted to also find a few cables going into the floor and shoddily into the wall. I can only guess they are for the house alarm, which is located below in the garage. I'm thinking of hiring someone to come and disable the alarm and remove it. These wires don't seem safe to me located here, but wondered what the regulations are and if I am being over cautious?

Additionally do I need to hire an electrician or someone who installs alarms if I do decide to get it removed?

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

Welcome to the forum mate.
Usually there is only mains voltage going to the control box. All other cables would have a max voltage of 12V. So from a safety point of view, you will not get a shock from these cables. Also unless there is a junction box under the floor boards that gets water in it then a bit of water on the cables will not be an issue.
As for the location and routing of the cables, if they are not causing you any hassle then I would just leave them.
Just be aware of the route of the cables and don't drill holes near it.

Yes, as I was typing before others got there first - it's fine. Alarm cables will almost certainly be 12v DC.
There are regulations about installing electrical equipment and accessories in bathrooms, and where you can do it, but they aren't relevant in this case.

If it makes you feel any better, the cables could even be mains without contravening any regulations if there is no switchgear or accessories in the space under the bath.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Usually there is only mains voltage going to the control box. All other cables would have a max voltage of 12V. So from a safety point of view, you will not get a shock from these cables. Also unless there is a junction box under the floor boards that gets water in it then a bit of water on the cables will not be an issue.
As for the location and routing of the cables, if they are not causing you any hassle then I would just leave them.
Just be aware of the route of the cables and don't drill holes near it.
Thanks very much for the information. Would it be better if I covered them up with a cable tidy/trunking to provide extra protection or would this not do anything?

Yes, as I was typing before others got there first - it's fine. Alarm cables will almost certainly be 12v DC.
There are regulations about installing electrical equipment and accessories in bathrooms, and where you can do it, but they aren't relevant in this case.

If it makes you feel any better, the cables could even be mains without contravening any regulations if there is no switchgear or accessories in the space under the bath.
Yes it just doesn't feel safe if in the bath, although given water has leaked all over the cables and down the hole already I guess it's shown to be fine. I wonder if I can add some trunking or something to tidy it up/cover it a bit better.

Yes it just doesn't feel safe if in the bath, although given water has leaked all over the cables and down the hole already I guess it's shown to be fine. I wonder if I can add some trunking or something to tidy it up/cover it a bit better.
The best analogy I can come up with is when you are sitting in your car, there are 12v cables surrounding you, including under the bonnet and under the car, often getting a bit wet. It's no more dangerous.
I'd happily get in a bath tub with those cables in the water.

Whirlpool/jacuzzi bath-tubs have much higher voltages in close proximity.

If you really want to do anything to them, get some split flexible conduit with can contain them and add another layer.

The best analogy I can come up with is when you are sitting in your car, there are 12v cables surrounding you, including under the bonnet and under the car, often getting a bit wet. It's no more dangerous.
I'd happily get in a bath tub with those cables in the water.

Whirlpool/jacuzzi bath-tubs have much higher voltages in close proximity.

If you really want to do anything to them, get some split flexible conduit with can contain them and add another layer.
Brilliant thanks, that does help. Yes I think a bit of trunking just to tidy it up too will be better.

Thanks very much for the information. Would it be better if I covered them up with a cable tidy/trunking to provide extra protection or would this not do anything?

Personally I wouldn't bother as you has to remove the side of your bath to get to them.
If adding some of the split conduit, that @timhoward has posted above, makes you feel better then just go for it mate.

Wouldnt bother with the trunking myself, if you have to yank or tug the cables a bit to get them into place there is a small risk you might damage them and cause problems with the alarm. Honestly mate, stick the side back on the bath and forget about it. There is absolutely no danger whatsoever posed by these cables even if they get slightly wet.

Reply to Cables under bath safety concern in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net