Discuss Calibration Date or Commissioning Date? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

acvc

-
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out here? I've just looked at the Calibration Cert for my multimeter. Although I purchased the meter last September (08), the calibration date is November 07. I first used the meter on a (non-part P) job in February this year, so I'm guessing that's what counts as the Commissioning date. First question is ........ does it need to be re-calibrated a year from the old Calibration Date or from the Commissioning Date? Second question .... where does it go to be re-calibrated and how long and how much?

Many thanks in advance.

If you are registered with NICEIC etc and they ask to see your current and previous certificate I think you will find that they dont care when it was first used. As for costs they vary from about £30 to £90 depending on what you have and where you go. Its best to google it and go to the closest to you. Something like megger calibration should do the trick

Chris

i would get it calibrated again now and it will save any trouble later with cirts
a megger multi functiion mft 1552 costs about 60 quid through newey and eyre and i think seperates are 25 each

Yes have also used (on site calibration) have had no probs with the guy and as old dog says he comes to you, he can be found on flea bay:)

Hi,

I was told by an NICEIC inspector that as long as you keep an

accurate record of 'continuing accuracy' then there is no need to

calibrate your meter (ever) - as long as the readings don't drift, of course.

Save you some money that way:)

Cheers

Wayne

Hi sixfingers,

Yeh, the bloke I spoke to said it also depends on usage and how

you look after it eg. thrown in the back of the van etc. but he

did say that as long as the readings remained constant then that was fine.

If you send a meter for calibration that doesn't need it you're just paying

them £80 to perform the checks that you are already doing yourself.

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne My test equipments due in june when it 2 years will be up since last calibration,My niceic inspection will be around october so i will hold fire on calibration to see what he requires if all goes well ill save £60 :D

Regards
Sixfingers!

Hi,

I was told by an NICEIC inspector that as long as you keep an

accurate record of 'continuing accuracy' then there is no need to

calibrate your meter (ever) - as long as the readings don't drift, of course.

Save you some money that way:)

Cheers

Wayne
hi wayne,
my nic assessor who is also an approved contractor told me it has been 6 years since he had his meters calibrated as his monthly test record has stayed constant. makes sense really ;)

Thanks very much guys for a good range of answers, really helpful. I've done two monthly checks on it and the readings are constant. I'm panicking because I've got my NIC (much delayed) first assessment coming up soon. I think I will have a look at the guy who does it on site anyway. Thanks again.

Have to say, i think the monthly check is a good idea but i would still get it properly calibrated at least every couple of years or so for peace of mind and for the records.

After all, the serial numbers are referenced on the certs.

Reply to Calibration Date or Commissioning Date? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock