Discuss Camping pod electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone any experience in putting electrics into camping pods (all wooden).
I was going to just treat it like a shed/garage with electrics but then wondered if it might come under camp site / caravan regs (section 708, 721) as eventually there will be more than one of them. One slight complication is one site is powered by a 120KVA genny rather than mains too.

I was just going to put a basic garage unit in with 30mA RCCB and then 32A and 16A breakers for power and lighting circuits respectively but then wondered about using RCBO's one each circuit so if some plugs something dodgy in it doesn't kill the lights.

Can't decided which is best and thought I'd ask others rather than it bouncing round my empty head!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

How about treating each pod like its own installation.
TT for each one main rcd incomer with rcbo for each circuit.
Maybe use a time delay rcd?

What would be the benefit of an upfront RCD? Assuming that it is all on one enclosure it would only be protecting the busbar. A main switch and two RCBOs may well come in at the same price as an RCD and two MCBs.

if he's fitting a metal CU on a TT earthing install, then an upfront RCD is generally required for fault protection.

Ah yes I did think about that after I had posted it, but isnt there an argument about whether the RCD has to go in a metal enclosure with a secure tail gland, or a seperate plastic enclosure (which then wouldnt be non combustable)? Wouldnt it be acceptable to use a secure gland in to a main switch and then RCBOs?

In any case its likely that there would be a time delay RCD at the genorator end anyway.

32A for power and 16A for lighting???? You sure about that?

What the heck are you putting in there? (Apart from modified streetlights and a few grow bags!)

There will be no more load in a pod than there is in a caravan, and they only get a 16A supply for everything.

Is there any requirement for a metal enclosure?

Opps, sorry, dyslexic fingers! I meant 32A and 6A. I did wonder if 32 was too big but these a 6m x 3m pods with 4 bunks so they sleep 8 and I was going to put 4 double outlets. We may end up putting a small heater in too but I think I might downgrade it to 16 or 20A.

I was assuming a metal enclosure, but I was trying to work out which regs are relevant. I was also thinking metal might be better as it's a wooden structure.

32A for power and 16A for lighting???? You sure about that?

What the heck are you putting in there? (Apart from modified streetlights and a few grow bags!)

There will be no more load in a pod than there is in a caravan, and they only get a 16A supply for everything.

I've just connected up a pod with

9.5KW electric shower.
2 x 1kw panel heaters
3kw electric water heater.
handful of double sockets and lights.

I've just connected up a pod with

9.5KW electric shower.
2 x 1kw panel heaters
3kw electric water heater.
handful of double sockets and lights.
Well you’ve been busy this morning :p

I’d be following the campsite section of the BBB to be honest. Not too sure if you need a metal CU? Don’t think one would be required in something like a hotel? Good to have a read of the campsite section yourself though I’ll admit I’m not to familiar with it. My thoughts are hopefully not a metal CU...TT it with a plastic CU with main switch and RCBOs

I had a quick scan of the campsite section, but I'll have a better read I think.
The generator is a permanent thing. The nearest power is a good distance away and I don't see it being connected to the grid anytime soon.

Around my parts (oo-er) this is a temporary structure as far as the DNO are concerned and as such it has to be TT'd

Reply to Camping pod electrics in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock