Discuss Can someone tell me what this is please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bayzoo

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering viewing a house and have gone onto Streetview to find out a little more, and I noticed one of these situated in the property boundary just off the street:

Can someone tell me what this is please Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 19.59.05 - EletriciansForums.net

Can someone shed any light as to what this is?

Thanks.

Looks like a power supply feed pillar. Maybe to feed lighting or a speed camera or something? Or maybe a comms cabinet, but looks a bit small for that.

Looks like a power supply feed pillar. Maybe to feed lighting or a speed camera or something? Or maybe a comms cabinet, but looks a bit small for that.
Thanks - so it could be for the street lights. There's nothing else in the street (like a speed camera as you say) other than the street lights that I can see requiring this. The reason I ask is I want to know the potential to open up the garden with a wider drive but with this in the way that could be a problem. I'm in Northern Ireland if that makes any difference.

It probably wouldn't be cheap to move it, but people often get streetlamps moved for driveway widening projects. Last one I heard of was around ÂŁ900, but that was a while ago.

Other members will probably have a more accurate idea of what it is.

Last edited:
It probably wouldn't be cheap to move it, but people often get streetlamps moved for driveway widening projects. Last one I heard if was around ÂŁ900, but that was a while ago.

Other members will probably have a more accurate idea of what it is.
Yeah probably in the thousands.

• Agree
Reactions: DPG
Yeah probably in the thousands.
Like my service pole a few years ago that was declared rotten and was going to be resited for free - until someone realised in was in the way of a building project, when it suddenly became a ÂŁ3500 job.

Like my service pole a few years ago that was declared rotten and was going to be resited for free - until someone realised in was in the way of a building project, when it suddenly became a ÂŁ3500 job.
Nice one - was yours for street lighting also?

No, the wooden service pole that carries the supply wires to my property. Just in the way of a proposed conservatory.
Built the conservatory anyway, actually touching the pole, and six months later the pole was moved for free.
Left a four foot stub of the pole, which is now the support of a bird table.

Is it really going to be a problem?
Stick some reflectors to it so you can see it.

Mostly these street boxes are placed at the corner between two properties…. But I have seen actual lampposts sited in front of houses where they could put a driveway in if it wasn’t for the pole.

Lampposts are measured between to give the right amount of lux levels…. So sometimes end up in not very clever positions.

Round here, when the council fitted LED replacement street lights, they moved all the existing poles to get the right lux rather than just changing the heads… of course, that meant digging up the street and pavement to rewire inbetween… and for some reason, one or two of them are still old SON lamps… on a new pole!!?

Is it really going to be a problem?
Stick some reflectors to it so you can see it.

Mostly these street boxes are placed at the corner between two properties…. But I have seen actual lampposts sited in front of houses where they could put a driveway in if it wasn’t for the pole.

Lampposts are measured between to give the right amount of lux levels…. So sometimes end up in not very clever positions.

Round here, when the council fitted LED replacement street lights, they moved all the existing poles to get the right lux rather than just changing the heads… of course, that meant digging up the street and pavement to rewire inbetween… and for some reason, one or two of them are still old SON lamps… on a new pole!!?
It could easily be worked around for sure - will maybe ask about it when we go view the house, however I believe the property is empty so the estate agent will know next to nothing!

Reply to Can someone tell me what this is please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock