Discuss Can We Use General Purpose Inverter for Crane? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My subcontractor use ABB ACS580 instead of ACS880.
They argue that can program to control crane with it.

Load capacity and motor power is no problem here,
but the purpose of inverter I concern here.

Is there any advice?

My subcontractor use ABB ACS580 instead of ACS880.
They argue that can program to control crane with it.

Load capacity and motor power is no problem here,
but the purpose of inverter I concern here.

Is there any advice?
Have you tried contacting ABB for advice?

You definitely need to talk to ABB, hoist motors are tricky to control with a VSD and need to be rated correctly.

Its already tested and it was fail.

First because of scalar control, next try with vector and I will soon report again.

Second, the failure is when try to stop the boom (load) when upward or downward, the motor not stop directly but need about a second to brake.

In that delay time the load is then (still) moved downward.
Worse when moving load downward.

Try to make 0 sec deceleration time, still not working, there is a delay about 1 sec before the mechanical braking close in.

They said they need a Dynamic Braking Control Unit and Brake Resistor to solve the problem.

I read the manual document, nor of them said ACS580 is a fully 4 quadrant drive inverter.

From ABB site:
https://library.e.abb.com/public/a3ef20fdc69ccc9ac12578800040ca95/ABB_Technical_guide_No_7_REVC.pdf

" In certain processes where the load can also be generating, the energy needs to be absorbed. For short generating loads the traditional solution has been a braking resistor where the power generated has been transformed into heat losses. If however the load is generating all the time, a true 4-quadrant rectifier is needed."

And from:
ABMO 10002 | convertisseur de fréquence =<1 kV | appareillages électriques à basse tension | Industrie | Tous les produits | | Electro-Matériel SA layout3 - https://www.elektro-material.ch/fr/shop/convertfrequ-abb-acs580-400vac-15kw-ip21/p/va-1253988
4-quadrant operation possible : No

=================
End of story, maybe next month try with vector control and Dynamic Braking and Brake Resistor install.

There are special regulations for crane control and circuit design due to the inherent safety aspects of hoisting heavy loads, stopping, starting and carrying them, it is clear you are out of your depth here and by the sounds of it you are adopting a trial and error approach, with all respect to your non UK position here and what may be differing practices, the forum must take a firm line on advice given and in your case it is that you get in a competent person to undertake this task.
The problem here is not only do you have to control the hoist effectively you also have to ensure at full load there is no danger of the load itself driving the hoist descent, this can be done in various ways but has to be calibrated and load tested to satisfy safety requirements and also be to a high safety standard for design to ensure fail safe control.
It is therefore unfortunate I must close what I consider an interesting topic for discussion and reiterate my advice to get a competent person in to do the work followed by a load testing calibration of the crane and signing off on both the control alteration and load test.

Last edited:

Reply to Can We Use General Purpose Inverter for Crane? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock