Discuss Caravans ?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Went to do just this sort of job yesterday.
Customer called asking if I could issue a cert to proove that the caravan hadn't caused the small electrical fire on the site where it was stored :eek:, as the site owner said this van had caused the supply cable of the next van to burn out & catch fire :rolleyes: & had to be removed from the site asap & repair costs paid.
The site sparks said it had to be this caravan that was at fault because the rcd at the supply end had tripped :confused: & the state of the internal wiring just confirms his suspisions.
The most major of faults being that the main switch in the caravan (40amp 30mA rcd main switch + mcb's for circuit ocpd's) it is over rated at 40amp, this alone could cause major problems with all the wiring & is probably what is causing the rcd to trip :confused:.
All that advice & fault diagnosis given in the time it took him to smoke his smoke, he didnt even need to get a meter out apparently, all for the princely sum of £20.

Anyway I digress. So I Turned up & customer says " yes we bought it very cheap because it was owned by a squaddie in Germany & he had it rewired to use over here.

On the initial look around found:
(1) mix of sockets some were German shuko type others uk 3 pin.
(2) lights & sockets on same ocpd 10amp type C mcb
(3) all neutrals crimped together outside of small cu showing some bare conductors.
(4) scotch loc used to connect new cable to battery charger (+ve 24v) & its burnt out/melted
(5) cu & all cable joints located directly behind the gas fire (3" between them)
(6) uninsulated spades used for 230v termination into battery charger & no barrier
(7) charger left loose on the floor behind gas fire
(8) singles used for mains supply to charger, not enclosed & drapped over the gas pipe.

Starts to test;
(1) no cpc at any sockets, they have all been cut away.
(2) Gave up at this point & told the chap that I'd only charge for fuel used to get there & his best option would be to have the thing sorted before using it again.

I thought this was going top be such a simple ...bish bash bosh...heres the cert & invoice type job.:(
At least the compliment from customer was " thank you I appreciate the no bulls*** approch you have". :cool:

Nice Write up EasyFox. Its has put light upon a dark area in my experience. So i guess this is not a straight forward inspection that i anticipated but i guess it going to depend on the age of the caravan. So i think i might give it some time as i fancy something a liittle different might be fun.

Thank s Marty

My way of testing a caravan is to put a lump of plastic explosives under it and set it off.:eek:

The test would then be to see how high you can get it and into how many pieces.:p

Reply to Caravans ?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock