Discuss Cat 6 Cable for Sky q in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm building a new house, and have a BT duct pipe in place.
For now, Im going to use BT broadband from my family's house which is approx 100m away.

I intend to run a cable through the duct pipe, so I can plug into their BT broadband router for internet and so we can get SKY Q TV.

Is a Cat6 cable the best option, or should I use something else?
(im a total novice)

thanks for any advice.

approx 100m away

You need to measure the cable run accurately, ethernet is only meant to run up to 100 metres and can be flaky if it's over that. (Technically the limit is 90m of fixed cable, allowing for a 5m patch lead at each end)

You might have to go for fibre optic or use some VDSL adapters...

thank you for the reply.
[automerge]1594036493[/automerge]
So if i went for fibre optic, is there any specific cable i need?
Also, would the fibre go straight into the routers at either end?

thanks

Last edited:
Also, would the fibre go straight into the routers at either end?

No, you need a pair of media converters...

So if i went for fibre optic, is there any specific cable i need?

The cable needs to match the media converters you buy. For the one above, you would want OM2 Multimode fibre cable, and you need to either buy pre-terminated cable(which comes with a big tube on the end, you need to drill approx 35mm holes through the walls) or be able to terminate "SC connectors" onto each end of the fibre cable, which needs to be terminated into a breakout box at both ends, like this...

Reply to Cat 6 Cable for Sky q in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock