Discuss CAT6 to summerhouse 100m away in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Got supply data to summerhouse we're doing. Will be powering small office set up : 1 x MAC and and smart TV.
Run is approx 100m away with some having to be clipped along a wall and some underground.

Was looking at SWA cat6, never used this before anyone else ? Any pointers/ recommendations would be welcomed please.

Going to see if there is a more cost effective way of doing this also for them.
Got to call back today and have a look.
If the summerhouse is in direct line of sight of the main house, I've seen an antenna set up being used before.
Anyone have experience of these ? Ubiquiti Powerbeam

Cheers Sy

I'd consider fibre. Should be more reliable and easier to set up than line of sight antennas.
Done 100M on cat 6 for a small switch at 1G, no problem, used UG screened. Done fibre 180m way up to 475M, again cheap enough, for the 475M run parts are less than £500.

Whats involved with fibre please Guys.... never used this before ? Easy enough to use/ make off/ test etc - Thanks Sy

Whats involved with fibre please Guys.... never used this before ? Easy enough to use/ make off/ test etc - Thanks Sy
Simplest way is to get fibre made up
Then select the transceivers

For long distances its better to pull gently and continously using Loose tube fibre in a duct.
Fibre comes with 20mm gland for installing into a box where you can mount the transceivers, its easy after you have done it once

Did a small install with the TPLink units, worked brilliantly, line of sight but doesn't take any special equipment for that (especially at65m) no excavating so overall cheaper job (approx 65m) but TP claim 17.5Km range. About £250 for the kit.

100m is over-length for a link on Cat6 (or Cat5e) - but in practice it'll almost certainly work as there's a fair bit of leeway in the specs to ensure reliable operation. At one past job, internally I had some runs up to 180m in our warehouse on the basis that (at the time) we only needed phone and serial terminals - and if I found ethernet not to work we'd do some shorter runs with a switch half way down. IICR we found that ethernet (100Meg probably back then) actually did work reliably.
As you have the opportunity to run cable, then do so. Wireless work OK with the right kit, but it's is never as fast and reliable as cable (unless the cable is carp). I used to use a fair bit of Ubiquiti kit at my last job, and I use it at home - so no worries there, it's pretty good stuff and generally well priced. If you do go wireless, then make sure your kit will work in the 5.8GHz band - the 24.G band is generally very congested.
But best of all is fibre. Not really an issue when it's off the same supply, but it provides complete galvanic isolation - so no worries about spikes induced by lightning taking out the network gear. But it costs - you will need the pre-terminated fibre as already linked to, a connector box for each end, patch cables for each end, and a switch that will take fibre connections which does put the price up. Typically you'd get switches for each end that will take mini-GBIC modules, and then modules for the type of fibre you are using. For a short run like that, I think you can use the cheaper multi-mode.

But TBH, I think I'd just run two copper cables. Why two ? Well one you'll use for network, the other is then free for anything else - such as extending the phone line out to the shed. You can use SWA cable (dunno if you can get a 2xCat6 SWA), or get some external grade Cat6 (it has a PE sheath which is a lot tougher, but produces nasty stuff in a fire so limit the length indoors) and run them in protection (duct or conduit).
If you use a duct, and are sensible about routing, then that gives you the best options as you can pull in something else later if you need it/change you mind about what's needed.

I am paying less than £80 for a pair of multimode fibre convertors. Yes they do use two fibres each but the smallest fibre is a 4 core anyway so you still have a spare pair and you can push this to 550M. I have just done a double hop from a premises to 2 sets of gates, where the furthest gate is 750M from the premises. Fibre is running at 1G, i get better performance on the end of the fibre at the furthest gate than standing under the wifi in the premises, lol
Its only for a camera, intercom / open gate solution but its FAST...

Reply to CAT6 to summerhouse 100m away in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock