Discuss Ceiling heating in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all my ceiling heating stopped working recently and I want it back on for the winter. I have checked the feed to the contactor which was live but was the voltage was not going through the contactor. I replaced the contactor with a similar 4 pole model but have the same issue. I have wired it exactly as the previous one. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I have some electrical experience

TL;DR
New contactor doesn’t work
sounds like your contactor is not receiving it's coil supply. try pressing the manual contactor button.if it works the, trasce the coil signal back. could be a faulty stat. ofr something else.

stat or timeclock are the most likely culprits

Presumably you mean in just one room/location, not the whole flat/house?
Has anyone disturbed the ceiling, put up new light fittings or worse, recessed lights? Although if the contactor is not closing the fault lies before that and likely to be the thermostat as others have said.

Just re-read again,
You have a switched live supply at the contactor so thermostat is working! Brand new coil (correct voltage?) Perhaps lost Neutral to complete the circuit?

The only ceiling heating I have seen, is 20A radial to each room with its own thermostat per room.
Do you only have 1 stat to control the whole set up.?

The only ceiling heating I have seen, is 20A radial to each room with its own thermostat per room.
Do you only have 1 stat to control the whole set up.?
Same as me, I’ve seen in only one estate in Woodford green, used as a prototype, realised it was a crap idea and doesn’t work unless your 6 foot 9 and binned it in favour of storage heaters(not much of an improvement lol)

most of the flats have ripped it out now and have plug in heaters everywhere

Reply to Ceiling heating in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net