Discuss Certs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

luke teague

I had a call today and was asked if i can go and oversee someones work next week at 1st fix stage and then at 2nd fix test and cert the whole job.
Im a full scope domestic installer and Is it ok to do this or should i stay clear.
i know thats all the building control would do is phone a contractor to do this.
I cant find any info about it, all i can see is if people do work themselves they have to let building control know, are they allow to have a contractor over see there work

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would steer clear of this. If the work is being carried out by the householder he should have notified Building Control, they will then specify when they wish to view the work (part way through first fix, upon completion of first fix, second fix, at testing, whatever they feel necessary).
How much time can you afford to overseeing the job?
Remember it is your name going on the certificate and you will be the person responsible. Most of the organisations now tell their members that they should not certify others work.
What happens if you find a fault during the test which requires considerable effort to find, how will the customer react - "you should have seen that was wrong before I put the floorboards back!!"
Tread carefully, there's a lot of potential for disaster, and remember if we make it easy for non qualified persons to carry out this type of work we are doing ourselves out of a job!!!

These are personal thoughts and I welcome any comments from other members.

I agree. I have had to turn a job down today cos the chap wants me to 2nd fix someone elses work. I ended up quoting to re-do the whole installation and certify it but there ain't no way I am signing for others work. Not that hard up for work yet!

If your local building control do not have the appropriate qualified personnel they are allowed to nominate suitably qualified contractors to carry out the inspections for them. Generally they will use the same contractors that they use for their electrical maintenance work on Council properties.
Give your local building control a ring and ask them how to become an approved contractor for carrying out inspections, they will tell you what is necessary, however be prepared for them to say that they already have suitably approved contractors. If you get this write a letter to the contracts department introducing yourself and giving a brief outline of what you are able to provide. End up the letter requesting a meeting in order that you may progress any possibilities further. The worst they can say is no but they can also say yes.
Good luck, keep us informed.

I had a call today and was asked if i can go and oversee someones work next week at 1st fix stage and then at 2nd fix test and cert the whole job.
Im a full scope domestic installer and Is it ok to do this or should i stay clear.
i know thats all the building control would do is phone a contractor to do this.
I cant find any info about it, all i can see is if people do work themselves they have to let building control know, are they allow to have a contractor over see there work
the guy is trying to use you tell him you wont oversee the job but you will do the install for him at a fair price of course and see what he says to that:eek:;)

Personally I would steer clear of this. If the work is being carried out by the householder he should have notified Building Control, they will then specify when they wish to view the work (part way through first fix, upon completion of first fix, second fix, at testing, whatever they feel necessary).
How much time can you afford to overseeing the job?
Remember it is your name going on the certificate and you will be the person responsible. Most of the organisations now tell their members that they should not certify others work.
What happens if you find a fault during the test which requires considerable effort to find, how will the customer react - "you should have seen that was wrong before I put the floorboards back!!"
Tread carefully, there's a lot of potential for disaster, and remember if we make it easy for non qualified persons to carry out this type of work we are doing ourselves out of a job!!!

These are personal thoughts and I welcome any comments from other members.

Totally agree. If this was a gas installation as opposed to an electrical installation, how many corgi engineers would oversee someone doing all the pipework and conections to a cooker or boiler and then sign it off? Few if any I would wager.

When oh when are people going to get it into their thick heads that finally electrical installation has now gone the same way as gas work. We have all had to invest time, money and investment in training and schemes to prove that we are competent at what we do. I for one will not sell myself short and help people to gain approval for installations when they have'nt had to jump through the hoops that I have had to. F*** em let em pay or walk away.

yeah its time b n q stopped selling stuff as with all wholesalers!!

Good point. However this will never happen. A lot of people only have electrical work done if they can do it themselves (no matter that it will set their house alight or electrocute their kids!!). If they have to pay for a professional then they won,t bother. Think of all the lost revenue to the government in VAT etc. Thats why they will never ban DIY stores from flogging electrical gear to muppets.

maybe b n q could do a course on been an electrician then, all the joe publics could sit round with there coils of cable and learn the smaller details of been a spark!

ps b n q seem to be quite reasonable on electrical prices now as well!!

maybe b n q could do a course on been an electrician then, all the joe publics could sit round with there coils of cable and learn the smaller details of been a spark!

ps b n q seem to be quite reasonable on electrical prices now as well!!

I was in QnB the other day (hides face in shame) where a woman was buying an extractor for her new kitchen. An assistant was giving her advice on wiring it up telling her to put a plug on it with 3A fuse off of a spur. She asked about the cooker and hob- did they need spurs as well. He said yes!! She then said the blokes doing her kitchen wouldn't want to do that! I walked off at that point:mad::mad:

total **** take in it, like you say tho its not gonna go away cos of the tax that the government gets out of b n Q its wrong but we cant do **** can we.

ive just noticed that the site automatically **** the swear words, the ******* ****** ******* tw%T!

Last edited:
what we need is a couple of high profile deaths to raise awareness of electrical safety issues, one of the royals would be good or a politician(now we are talking)

They would have to be high profile.

According to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (at the time) the reason why Part P was brought in and not legislation was that there had only been seven deaths that could be shown as being as a direct result of electricution, in domestic properties, in the previous five years.

Perhaps I am a bit naive but I would have thought one death was one too many!!!

Reply to Certs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock