Discuss Changes in the 17th edition.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i know it grieves me but have to have latest edition for when the nic visit,has anyone heard when 17th o.s.g. is coming out?

is anyone working to 17th now? fitted a cu and bonding today in a house with TT earth. with 100ma rcd main switch and 30ma on the split side. understandably gonna be out dated this year and customer didnt want to pay for rcbos as quoted for it last year

is anyone working to 17th now? fitted a cu and bonding today in a house with TT earth. with 100ma rcd main switch and 30ma on the split side. understandably gonna be out dated this year and customer didnt want to pay for rcbos as quoted for it last year

why would they need RCBO's, just change the CU spec and juggle with the circuit connections to each way in the CU

I cant see a twin 30mA RCD board being much different to a 100mA S type and a 30mA

yeah fair one but was having problems with two 30ma on a split load as they were intermittently tripping the other one when testing giving odd readings, so reverted back to 16th TT method. Just out of interested was looking back at old 2391 certificate and it said "you have been sucessful in th following "0" modules..." is that correct as doesnt sound very encouraging?

cheers shakey nice one, to be honest am new to the forum, but been reading posts for hours its surprising how much you get other views on things which is great as i work as a stand alone electrician top stuff cant get enough of it!

I agree Ben. M, myself and I get stuck in the same way mode. You think you know/understand something and then someone points out something bleedingly obvious. Thanks for the human conact guys.
Bigal

I wonder if any of you could help? Have there been any changes in the 17th edition with regards to increasing the size of the neutrals due to harmonic currents?
Any help or advice very much appriciated.

Haven't bought my copy yet. Can't quite bring myself to spend £65 on a bleedin book!

Hi Cirrus, Hi every one. Nice to be back after a long time. Family reasons.

Last time I complained about paying £65 for the red book everyone called me a tight -------/git!! Is there anyway that I can just have the updates to correlate with the brown book. Would be far sensible if this document could be looseleaf which could be updated as the regulations change rather than being produced in book form which must be purchased at vast expense!

hi darius a listing of the main changes can be found on websites such as the iee ,i still recommend the full book ,try ebay or amazon

i got my 17thed offov amazon £57 but i bought it with other books so the postage was next to nowt, the on site guide comes out in september i think i was promised it for the 19th but not 100% sure.

Can I get back to the question about 16th edition testers? Tony are you talking Insulation Resistance and if so we all know that anything under 2 M Ohms needs to be investigated no matter what the regs say. Which lets face it all 16th edition testers can already do, so is this just another way to extract money from over regulated electricians.

I would also like to rant about kitchen fitters/plumbers why is is that Part P for them is a quick and easy course and for us sparks a long drawn out process and they work in special locations !!!! My landlord recently had a new condensing boiler and gas central heating installed in my flat, when I opened the door to let these two children in to install it and left for work I felt quite worried but gave them the benefit of the doubt. On returning the little blighters had unplugged my stereo out of the double socket in the kitchen and just plugged the boiler in, no spur, no cable clips, nothing nada.

Part P part timers get on my wick, If I had done that for the plumbers I work for they would have had a mini fit.

Hi.
Enjoyed reading the comments about the new regs.
I will be interested to know what you think of one of the new regs. Our teacher on the 17th edition course was non committal. Page 114 reg 533.1.1.2 says " fuses having fuse links likely to be removed or replaced by persons other than instructed persons or skilled persons shall be of a type which complies with the safety requirements of BS 88."
Does this mean no rewireable BS3036 fuses in domestic installations now. I know we have,nt used them in years but it would now have to be noted as a code 4 on a Periodic Inspection.
I will be interested to know your views
P.S.
you testers out there, are we now going to have additional pages with the Periodics just to cope with the code 4 "explosion".
Thanks Daisy

Hi Daisy. I just did my 17th course and exam on Thursday. We didn't learn a thing and I can honestly say I have no idea about the new regs. Passed my exam cos I was clever at finding the right section in the big red book. Good for you - sounds like your lecturer gave you ideas as to what the changes are on site as opposed to the changes as per the regs.

Hi Cirrus
Do not want to worry you but off the top of my head
EARTHING - GROUPING - METHODS - IMPEDANCE - BONDING - ZONES - INSULATION RES - thats it I,ve run out now there,s probably more! Have changed or include changes.

Got to go got a bit of reading to do
Daisy

Thanks Daisy,
Am not worried now as I did pass the exam so just need to swot up on things in a bit more detail I think:(

It's times like this I start to feel old. I have a 15th, 15(II) and 16th certificate and now I need to get the 17th. Have gone through the "big brown book" and agree with one of the previous replies, the Schneider web site info is very useful and puts some of the requirements into English. They can be printed off easily and there are more to come. Yet again though every electrician will interpret the regs differently and the manufacturers will give guidance that will have you buying more expensive products from them. It's a great life :eek:

hi daisy ,reading the black and white in the red book it would appear you're right about semi-rewirables ...has this change been sneaked under the wire ?
it certainly looks like semi-rewirables are now a code 4(does not comply with current regs ) any thoughts from the gallery?

Reply to Changes in the 17th edition.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock