Discuss Changing from one-way to 2-way switch in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Trying to change a switch from 1-way to 2-way. Wired like the attached it doesn't work at all - any ideas? Thanks
IMG_4272.jpg
IMG_4271.jpg

So the switching was originally one way with a single cable at the switch, you have added the three core and earth cable?
Need a clearer pic of the switch terminals so we can read them.

So the switching was originally one way with a single cable at the switch, you have added the three core and earth cable?
Need a clearer pic of the switch terminals so we can read them.
L1 is to the right as you look at the pictures with L2 to the left and COMMON at the other end.

Like this neither switch works - change the blue and brown from the light and it stays on all the time.

The wiring of the switches is correct.
The execution of the wiring is extremely poor.
A short length of brown sleeving is required on all sheathed wires except the brown ones.
Green/yellow sleeving is required on all bare earth wires.
There must be no bare copper showing outside of the switch terminals.

The wiring of the switches is correct.
The execution of the wiring is extremely poor.
A short length of brown sleeving is required on all sheathed wires except the brown ones.
Green/yellow sleeving is required on all bare earth wires.
There must be no bare copper showing outside of the switch terminals.
Thank you. I'll sort out the sheathing etc when I can get the light to work. It's just not working!

either a faulty switch or one of cables not terminated correctly. have you tested the switches?
wires are in right place.
1. I've just had another go. Disconnected the second switch completely and rewired the main switch with brown in L1 and blue (brown) in COM. All worked perfectly.

2. Tried to reconnect the second switch without moving the blue (brown) in COM. Only problem was couldn't switch off light at switch two if it had been switched on at switch one!

3. Reconnected back as original pictures which I am told is right; tripled checked all connections and all seems ok. Can't switch light on or off at either switch.

Doesn't scenario 2 eliminate faulty switches?

Assuming the 'curly' brown in your pic. is the one that forms a cable with the blue, then the wiring in your OP is correct.
If it doesn't work as it should, then either the far end switch is completely duff, or the 3&E at the first switch is not the same continuous 3&E at the remote switch.
Your scenario 2 should have enabled you to switch on the light at either switch, but only able to switch it off again with the same switch.

Assuming the 'curly' brown in your pic. is the one that forms a cable with the blue, then the wiring in your OP is correct.
If it doesn't work as it should, then either the far end switch is completely duff, or the 3&E at the first switch is not the same continuous 3&E at the remote switch.
Your scenario 2 should have enabled you to switch on the light at either switch, but only able to switch it off again with the same switch.
Ok. But surely the switch at the far end can’t be duff if it works under scenario 2? I’ll check the connections again! Thanks.

Reply to Changing from one-way to 2-way switch in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net