Discuss Chilton ELCB Upgrade,advice needed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

piggyitm

Hey,I,ve just done an EICR and been asked to quote for remedials. Its a TT with a 60a Chilton VOELCB main switch going to a 60a 1361 switch fuse feeding a 16mm T&E that runs off through the house to a metal clad Wylex 3036 with outside sockets on the ring. 96.6 ohms on the earth rod. Can I choose to upgrade the VOELCB to a 30ma RCD on its own OR Install a 30ma Time Delay RCD and upgrade the CU to a Split Load . I can see quite a cost difference.I don't want to lose the job if I.M. Sparky can quote for the single RCD. Cheers

Hey,I,ve just done an EICR and been asked to quote for remedials. Its a TT with a 60a Chilton VOELCB main switch going to a 60a 1361 switch fuse feeding a 16mm T&E that runs off through the house to a metal clad Wylex 3036 with outside sockets on the ring. 96.6 ohms on the earth rod. Can I choose to upgrade the VOELCB to a 30ma RCD on its own OR Install a 30ma Time Delay RCD and upgrade the CU to a Split Load . I can see quite a cost difference.I don't want to lose the job if I.M. Sparky can quote for the single RCD. Cheers

If your changing out the existing CU for a 17th dual RCD, then your up-front RCD needs ideally to be 100mA S type. If changing just the VOELCB, then you need to replace it with a 30mA RCD. and wait for all the nuisance tripping calls...lol!!! Previously it was 100mA up-front RCD that was required on TT systems, but it's been a while now, where socket outlets all require 30mA protection on TT systems....

Cheers for reply. I was wondering if the 16mm needed to be covered by an upfront 30mA because it goes off through walls and under floors without mechanical protection.Not looking forward to the nuisance trips!!!

Cheers for reply. I was wondering if the 16mm needed to be covered by an upfront 30mA because it goes off through walls and under floors without mechanical protection.Not looking forward to the nuisance trips!!!

Well if your planing on installing a 30mA up-front RCD, to cover all of the existing circuits, that is exactly what i would predict happening...

Reply to Chilton ELCB Upgrade,advice needed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock