Discuss Chinese parts in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

WallaceP

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a client who has bought some import MCC's. The components used in the cabinets are all branded the usually makes, abb telemech etc. however they are slightly different from what you would buy here, the fonts used, the feel and noises they make in use... I feel they are all knock off parts but I can't say for sure. There is a slight chance these brands make and sell products for that market and while they may not be the same quality they are genuine 'grey import' parts. Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar situation?

I would raise this with trading standards. They have intercepted masses of fake parts. I remember in particular MCBs that had a solid copper link and nothing else in them, I mean the kind of thickness that means the whole building would melt down before that baby ever fired. Can you take one apart or do any tests on them?

one simple but not conclusive test would be to buy an identical breaker from your normal supplier and then weigh them both.
you will need some accurate scales that have at least 1 decimal after the grams figure.

the knock offs are generally lighter as they have smaller conductors and light weight construction to keep the manufacturing costs to an absolute minimum.

if you want to go to town, put a known load on one that is slightly over its capacity, time how long it takes to trip and compare to manufacturers trip curve.

If your client has imported these into the UK themselves, they now have the legal liability as the manufacturer of the product, so if it blows up and kills someone, the law is coming after them.
I think there was a middle company, possibly from Poland involved with the deal, I am trying to stay away from the can of worms but was interested to find out about accreditation and conformity of the equipment and how you would go about this. I am not going to tho.

one simple but not conclusive test would be to buy an identical breaker from your normal supplier and then weigh them both.
you will need some accurate scales that have at least 1 decimal after the grams figure.

the knock offs are generally lighter as they have smaller conductors and light weight construction to keep the manufacturing costs to an absolute minimum.

if you want to go to town, put a known load on one that is slightly over its capacity, time how long it takes to trip and compare to manufacturers trip curve.
Or... even easier... send it to John Ward... he'll do a nice Youtube video of it's destruction !

Take pictures of the components and email them to the companies who they are supposedly manufactured by, they might be able to tell from the pictures whether they are genuine or not.

I think there was a middle company, possibly from Poland involved with the deal, I am trying to stay away from the can of worms but was interested to find out about accreditation and conformity of the equipment and how you would go about this. I am not going to tho.
That is a massive task in itself, and requires quite a lot of detective work! ;)

Reply to Chinese parts in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock