Discuss Coax and RFC spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Guitarist

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Went to replace a corroded socket outlet today and found that the TV coax is crammed in the same conduit as the 2.5mm spur feed cable, then passes out of the mains backbox into its own aerial point box. No way to re-route it without major upheaval for a very nice old Lady.
Thoughts please.

needs sorting mate,50mm seperation cant remember the reg,and bgb not to hand but they defo shouldnt be together. can you not join a new coax in loft and come down outside and drill through

2 choices. either leave alone, it's no worse than before you came, or re-route new coax down outside wall and drill through into room ( always assuming you have an outside wall in the room)

On invoice "Trace and rectify fault" no one is the wiser. Who said that, not me!

Part of a bigger job mate. I found the corroded socket when trying to find outlets actually on the RFC, and not just spurs, so that I can improve her "1 socket per room" situation.
She is a lovely Lady, and wants me to do whatever makes the house safer, but obviously I only want to do what will genuinely improve her safety and convenience.

Some sound advice guys. Thank you.

I'm sure I will find a few more "gems" before this job is finished :)

Hi guitarist been doing the very same thing at my brothers
its all JBs under the floor boards with a single stranded imperial T/E down to each socket think i have found 2 that have with 2 cables in and these could possibly be a spur off to another socket

Is it acceptable for the ring to be jointed under the boards and individual legs to sockets

end to end values were
L-L= 0.23ohms
N-N= 0.23ohms
Cpc - cpc =0.41
step 2
at the sockets that i suspect to be a spur of a jb under the boards
i was getting 0.13ohms
at others I was getting anything upto 0.59ohms
few of these were worn socket tubes on fronts or loose terminals but some are still high
Its deffo not a perfect ring final circuit
same for step 3
there is 4 seperate cables for the lighting circuits at the board
a radial to a JB with 3 radials from that to 3 single sockets so these will be split and put on 16A
I have been carrying out a PIR and then remedial work also a new shed/ workshop supply

the list is endless and everytime i look at something i see problems and find faults etc

replaced the existing overloaded and many fault wooden backed Wylex fuseboard
4 ways and as many as 3 or 4 circuits in each
also a volex split load 7 unprotected and 5 protected single 30mA RDd which had been poorly installed all Ip ratings not met and it was a

I have replaced them both with a single BG 13 way dual RCD with 3 ways on the unprotected side and the rest protected by the 2 RCDS

the original wiring is the best its all the additions and alterations that have the problems and faults
the new kitchen he had about 8-10 yrs ago is were the worst of all
10K kitchen and a DIYer could ahve done better with the wiring and fitting the kitchen

think the Ring for the house was just added at later date by ex owner or something
I cant even use the half split method lol

when doing a CCU change what is the extent i have to go to to ensure all circuits are compliant and what is the limit of my liability with it all

there is no way at present he will allow any removal of wooden floors , fitted wardrbes Kitchen cupboards etc etc
I was thinking of splitting the ring into 2 radial 16A circuits but doubt it will be possible without removal of floors etc

Reply to Coax and RFC spur in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock