Discuss Coax installation for freeview etc in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post as I'm a new member so please be gentle :)

I am in the process of renovating my house and have run in two coax points (x1 for freeview and x1 spare) to each room from underneath the stairs, which is where I'd like all the coms equipment to be located. I thought I could have a splitter here and run a 'feed' to the loft for the aerial connection.

However I am bit concerned by some of the threads I am reading in terms of where they should be run to, as the cables are already installed. I read a thread where someone said all cables should be run directly to the aerial… :(

The loft eventually will be converted to a bedroom so I wasn't keen on having any equipment in there and have everything under the stairs

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Single cable from aerial to connection point.

Cables to all tv points

Don't forget you'll need a socket for the splitter amp.

I would also run cat 5 at the same time ...

Are you a spark?

Thanks for the speedy reply, Murdoch. Yes I am a spark just haven't done much domestic coms before.

So I just need to drag all the cables from underneath the stairs into the loft which should be ok as they have enough slack on them.

I have run in three ethernet points to all rooms with a 24 way panel underneath the stairs so the smart TVs will have proper internet connection.

I have also run in a spare set of coaxes to each room which I guess I could use for Virgin if I ever use them again as the virgin supply will be on the ground floor

Cheers!

So I just need to drag all the cables from underneath the stairs into the loft which should be ok as they have enough slack on them.

Single cable from aerial to connection point.

Cables to all tv points

I don't think @Murdoch said that they need to go into the loft.
The connection point can be under your stairs.
You just need a socket for the splitter amp.

OP: Just to clarify the above posts.
@Murdoch can whip me if I have interpreted it incorrectly but:
The 'connection point' is the splitter amp.... so....

Single cable from aerial to splitter amp.

Cables to all tv points from splitter amp.

Have I mentioned.... you need a splitter amp...

I don't think @Murdoch said that they need to go into the loft.
The connection point can be under your stairs.
You just need a socket for the splitter amp.

Ok thanks Spoon

I thought he was indicating it should be close to the source to reduce any losses that may occur.

Then I found this...

The low-noise amplifier/booster must always be near the input end of the cable. If you put it at the output end, you are simply boosting the signal and the noise it has picked up, so you are hardly any better off!

The purpose of an amplifier is to compensate for signal loss in the cable before it happens!

NEVER plug a booster in the downstairs feed from the aerial. The only time a "set-back amplifier" or booster should be used downstairs is when it's amplifying the signal to send it somewhere else via a LONG cable (bedroom, kitchen, conservatory).

Ok thanks Spoon

I thought he was indicating it should be close to the source to reduce any losses that may occur.

Then I found this...

The low-noise amplifier/booster must always be near the input end of the cable. If you put it at the output end, you are simply boosting the signal and the noise it has picked up, so you are hardly any better off!

The purpose of an amplifier is to compensate for signal loss in the cable before it happens!

NEVER plug a booster in the downstairs feed from the aerial. The only time a "set-back amplifier" or booster should be used downstairs is when it's amplifying the signal to send it somewhere else via a LONG cable (bedroom, kitchen, conservatory).

The ones I have seen just say something along the lines of "not too far from the aerial".... Whatever that means.
Of course it also depends on the cable route for the interference.

If you can bring the cables into the loft, and the amp you buy suggest its ok, then go ahead and do that.

The ones I have seen just say something along the lines of "not too far from the aerial".... Whatever that means.
Of course it also depends on the cable route for the interference.

If you can bring the cables into the loft, and the amp you buy suggest its ok, then go ahead and do that.
I've put my amplifier right next to the aerial in the loft and kept the coax well away from other cables.

I've put my amplifier right next to the aerial in the loft and kept the coax well away from other cables.

I have heard some whinge about the amps being in the loft cause of the wide change in temps.
I presume you haven't had a problem with yours?

Reply to Coax installation for freeview etc in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net