Discuss Comsumer unit - upstairs/downstairs ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeap agreed! I told them this. All I got was a shrug and a claim they'd fix them.

They also tried to claim I shouldn't be taking faceplates off walls. However I deem myself competent and therefore within the regs. He was a bit stunned when I quoted that. Think he was more upset he was caught doing rubbish work.

You need to speak to the site manager not the electrical contractors. I suspect he/she may also shrug because it is being rectified but ask for their name subject to a complaint to the main contractor.

You need to speak to the site manager not the electrical contractors. I suspect he/she may also shrug because it is being rectified but ask for their name subject to a complaint to the main contractor.
Already tried that. I said they need sacking. His response was if they sacked everyone who did a rubbish job he'd have no one to build houses! That site manager quit a week later. The new one just avoids me now. I've apprantly got a reputation on site!

What’s wrong with a homeowner taking a faceplate off if you isolate the circuit?

Do you have the option of a snagging list period?

New build developments are notorious for corner cutting…. In all trades.
I’m still coming across issues with my electrics after 14 years.

Tell them you’re going to organise an EICR from your own choice of electrician to find any more issues if they don’t sort it all pronto.

The threat of contacting BBC Rogue Traders can also work wonders.

What’s wrong with a homeowner taking a faceplate off if you isolate the circuit?

Do you have the option of a snagging list period?

New build developments are notorious for corner cutting…. In all trades.
I’m still coming across issues with my electrics after 14 years.

Tell them you’re going to organise an EICR from your own choice of electrician to find any more issues if they don’t sort it all pronto.

The threat of contacting BBC Rogue Traders can also work wonders.
Exactly my point to them. They clearly just don't like being questioned on the regs by a DIYer like me.

Yes it was on the snag list. Been here 8 weeks now. Problem is they repair it but what about the other houses who don't spot these things? I bet professional snaggers don't take faceplates off.

The EICR is a waste of time from what I've seen here

Go direct to the main contractor. Those on site are not interested they just want it wrapped up to move on, as already said the quality of work carried out on modern house builds is dire.

It's scandalous.... but such standards seem to be the norm these days.
It's also scandalous a house owner be fobbed off, by the contractor, as a trouble maker for reporting such an important matter. Report to main contractors and make it public.
EIC for a new installation, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
It's scandalous.... but such standards seem to be the norm these days.
It's also scandalous a house owner be fobbed off, by the contractor, as a trouble maker for reporting such an important matter. Report to main contractors and make it public.
EIC for a new installation, for what it's worth.
Thanks!

What good is a EIC if an electrican gets his mate to sign it? Would anything come of reporting them to NICEIC?

Few questions from me

• Is a "DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE" the same as the "building regulations certificate of compliance"?
  • if they move a socket from the ring main upstairs to downstairs do i need a new DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE?
  • I've been around and counted the sockets and it doesn't match up to the quantities refered to on the DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE - another problem?

I have come across this many times..."If I sacked all the rubbish workmen, I'd have nobody to build houses"...but these houses are not cheap! No, they are very overpriced, but built cheaply to maximise profit.
That pic of the wiring is just an example of awful workmanship. I'm not an electrician but I'd be ashamed of myself if I wired stuff like that. OK< some of my stuff might be less than perfect, but I'd be happy for someone to take off some faceplates and try to find real fault. It's not really rocket-science to wire a socket, but it's a proper skill to do it properly, and if you can't do it, don't pretend that you can (and charge good money for shoddy work).
To the OP, if your house is covered by the NHBC scheme you could try a complaint to them...but it's a waste of time.

Reply to Comsumer unit - upstairs/downstairs ring mains in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net