Discuss considering a career change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. im at a stage where i cant face getting up in the moring to go to work. ive tried jobs in commercial and domestic but i dont have the passion for them like i used to. ive been in the trade for 15 years including my apprenticeship but now im considering a totally different carrer.
I know ill always have trade behind me to fall back on, has anyone made a career switch and regreted it and moved back?

Thanks

Do you want to get out of the electrical trade all together?
You could look at other aspects of the trade depending on your skill set; sales(wholesalers), design, maintenance

my best mate quit the trade around 2000 and joined the rozzers.
been in the met ever since and loves it , loads of benefits and great over time rates etc
but he does live and breath the force and often pulls 6 day weeks sometimes 14/15 hour days

Police and Fire Brigade all good careers. Recently finished 30 years in the plod. Pay and conditions now are not nearly as good as they used to be but realistically they’ve had to cut back and reform like all of the public sector. Police work is good fun if you throw yourself into it 100% and as hinted at above there can be loads of overtime going. Problem is like anything it’s easy to get disillusioned and think the grass is greener. 30 is not too old...oh to be 30 again :rolleyes:

my best mate quit the trade around 2000 and joined the rozzers.
been in the met ever since and loves it , loads of benefits and great over time rates etc
but he does live and breath the force and often pulls 6 day weeks sometimes 14/15 hour days

I know a few people that have left the met due to poor pay, crippling shift work and being over worked due to lack of staff. You used to be able to work 30 years for your pension and that has been increased to 40 years.

Working 6 days a week and 14/15 hour days to make a good wage isn't appealing to most people who want a life.

31 years young is not too old to join the police of fire brigade, you will still be able to serve a solid 25-30 years (health permitting) and gain a full pension I believe.

As I mentioned my best mate joined the police aged roughly 25/26 after a few years bouncing around the trades , he had a bad leg injury in service and they looked after him really well on full benefits etc.
not many employers would pay you in full for 10 months while laid up.

I was a spark from leaving school to ‘98 when I went to uni at age 24. Still working part time to support mortgage and family.
No jobs when I graduated, so stayed on the tools. Done some of my most interesting jobs around that time including Heathrow T5.

2007, my father in laws business was looking for a manager, so we dropped everything, sold our house and moved back home.
Did that for 10 years. Long days, 6 or 7 days a week. Very varied, between manual work, office admin and stints helping out on the bar.

He sold up, and now I’m self employed back as a spark.... but if I want a day off or a lie in, I can have it. My choice.

Working for the local authority housing department no wonder you lost the will to live.

I went in to data cabling and IT years back just before the building trade collapsed, have a look in to train maintenance as well, signalling etc etc s most firemen I know bitch on about how bad it is and have second jobs on the go part time.

Become a Member of Parliament. The country needs someone with a semblance of common sense. And you wont need to get up early, either!

Come Brexit there will be loads of jobs going with UK Border Force and Immigration. They’ll all be minimum wage though as they’ll be run by Tory MP linked private companies fleecing the public purse ;)

There was a doc on ch5 last night called 'Cash for orgasms' or some such. This fella was seeing to ladies 'requirements' and making a very tidy wage thank you very much. As far as I know he isn't a member of a scam and hasn't done the 18th either.
Got to be worth considering.

There was a doc on ch5 last night called 'Cash for orgasms' or some such. This fella was seeing to ladies 'requirements' and making a very tidy wage thank you very much. As far as I know he isn't a member of a scam and hasn't done the 18th either.
I wonder who PATests his equipment ? :confused:

I think this matches the advice I was given that you're never "Fully" off duty !!!
(Cannot be too half hearted)
We used to use the term ‘job p*ssed’. If you worked some of squads like the Flying Squad you were expected to work the hours it took to get the job done. You can’t for instance do a surveillance operation in an 8-10 hour shift. Overtime is the last bastion of police work and if they ever did away with it they would have to provide a major pay increase to keep the motivation going. Also quite normal to arrest someone and work a 24 hr shift in order to collate evidence and get charging decision in the detention period.

We used to use the term ‘job p*ssed’. If you worked some of squads like the Flying Squad you were expected to work the hours it took to get the job done. You can’t for instance do a surveillance operation in an 8-10 hour shift. Overtime is the last bastion of police work and if they ever did away with it they would have to provide a major pay increase to keep the motivation going. Also quite normal to arrest someone and work a 24 hr shift in order to collate evidence and get charging decision in the detention period.

No wonder so many court cases are lost if the poor sod doing the collating has worked a 24 hour shft!

Reply to considering a career change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock