Discuss considering a career change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I don't think Lumberjacks 'leap' from tree to tree, so perhaps it's a good job you found another career path or you might have been very disappointed
Oh I dunno judging by the Loonies that trimmed the Pine trees next to my House, swinging about like Tarzan they were.

No wonder so many court cases are lost if the poor sod doing the collating has worked a 24 hour shft!
Jobs do get handed over but if you’ve been working on it from the start and know the job inside out it makes sense to carry on especially if it’s a complex investigation. Of course, under the human rights act the detainee is also entitled to a rest period in the 24 hr period...more rights than the police officers! Now that’s an EU guided bit of UK legislation that I don’t like. Pre police and criminal evidence act you could arrest someone, go home for the weekend, and come back and deal with on Monday ... if you remembered ! ;)

I have dipped in and out the trade since I was about 15 or 16.
Have tried being a rep and even tried showroom manager.
But my draw is always to tinkering with lectrics..

That said I did just get a quote to remove my conifer hedge and the gardener wants £1500 cash.
Reckons its about 2 days work.

Maybe there is more money in bush whacking after all...

moat of the time ive been testing for local authority housing, ive been in this for at least 7 of the 10 years ive been qualified.

ive tried the commercial/shop fitting route but that wasnt for me either

Are you good and effective at fault finding and rectification? Before you knock it on the head, try some national facilities firms. Lots of opportunities and interesting work.

That said I did just get a quote to remove my conifer hedge and the gardener wants £1500 cash.

Depends whether it’s a 30 foot high leylandi hedge or not? :cool: I’ve had some big beech trees taken down and done a small bit of chainsaw work clearing up. Talk about a dangerous job, knowing where to cut and the weights involved.

Also quite normal to arrest someone and work a 24 hr shift in order to collate evidence and get charging decision in the detention period.

Me thinks a slight exaggeration; your 17 week work pattern rotation 'computer says no' would kick doing a couple of those, and tell you to go home and do some gardening leave.

But then the Met always think they know better. :)

I wouldn't charge anything to whack my neighbour's bush

Jobs do get handed over but if you’ve been working on it from the start and know the job inside out it makes sense to carry on especially if it’s a complex investigation. Of course, under the human rights act the detainee is also entitled to a rest period in the 24 hr period...more rights than the police officers! Now that’s an EU guided bit of UK legislation that I don’t like. Pre police and criminal evidence act you could arrest someone, go home for the weekend, and come back and deal with on Monday ... if you remembered ! ;)

Wasn't PACE a 1982 act that was introduced in 1984 (from memory - not google), so you must be old if you were in the job over 35 years ago.

Me thinks a slight exaggeration; your 17 week work pattern rotation 'computer says no' would kick doing a couple of those, and tell you to go home and do some gardening leave.

Used to do seven days of night duty, finish at 6am Monday then start again at 2pm, do two late turns before getting 2 days off.

Used to do seven days of night duty, finish at 6am Monday then start again at 2pm, do two late turns before getting 2 days off.
Wasn't PACE a 1982 act that was introduced in 1984 (from memory - not google), so you must be old if you were in the job over 35 years ago.
Yes, correct. Just quoting old war stories from the old sweats that still couldn’t get their head round PACE in 1987.

I did a quick swing's, rapid rotation, 4 on 4 off etc, or whatever the flavour of the year shift pattern there was. But soon as I did too much overtime, the working time directive (in recent years) kicked in.

Not with standing operational demands, supervision can't allow you to fall asleep on the job.

I don't think Lumberjacks 'leap' from tree to tree, so perhaps it's a good job you found another career path or you might have been very disappointed

Are you saying that Monty Python is wrong???? How dare you...
Next you will be saying Harold did not exist...

I was in IT networking and systems programming and electronics until i felt like you - i woke up every day with a feeling of dread going to sit on that sweaty overcrowded bus with all the equally sad and depressed faces for those two hours of depression to sit in an office with backstabbing colleagues and an asswipe for a boss and one night i watched the movie ~"WANTED" - The last line of the movie made my mind up - i went in to work the next day , told my boss what i thought of him but resisted the temptation to smash a keyboard into his face and left.

3 Days later I was in Romania - I did what i always wanted to do and that was travel the world looking for hidden treasure especially the AMBER ROOM or ---- GOLD with my magnet diving equipment and metal detectors and found a few things; not much but after a year in Poland and Russia I went to Germany and after teaming up with some German detectorists we found a massive hoard of ---- gold in a certain mountain area in Austria - needless to say we did not tell anyone and had it melted down and sold through a guy they knew in Berlin but i dont really need to work now.

You got to take a chance some day - 99% of peeps want to but never have the balls to do it - if you take the chance you might just find it works out!

Hi all. im at a stage where i cant face getting up in the moring to go to work. ive tried jobs in commercial and domestic but i dont have the passion for them like i used to. ive been in the trade for 15 years including my apprenticeship but now im considering a totally different carrer.
I know ill always have trade behind me to fall back on, has anyone made a career switch and regreted it and moved back?

Thanks
I became a petty criminal and subsequently ended up doing tiime in Wormwood Scrubs, Pentonville, Belmarsh and various other excellent English prisons. Pentonville was my favorite. There was a real party atmosphere there and you could get a room with a view ( of Caledonian Rd). Belmarsh was always horrible felt like being in a mental hospital. Its a souless modern building. You cant beat the Classic architecture of an old victorian prison.

Reply to considering a career change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock