Discuss Cooker isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Right, I try to stay away from anything domestic but was asked to do a favour for a friend.

Freestanding electric cooker
Hob, grill, oven
All a single supply 32A max

Previous spark has put in supply, nice isolator with built in socket and even brought a cable down to a connection unit behind the cooker.

All is looking great from my point of view, put cable between cooker and connection plate, pick up tool box and out of there?

Now there is some serious black marks on the wall. I asked what happened to the last cooker.

FIRE, old lady that lives there is a bit dotty and is looked after by her daughter who visits to Cook and help etc.
One day she decided to cook some chips and the kitchen was in flames.
So, 8 months after that event I am connecting new cooker to new supply and thinking what is being done to prevent this happening again.

The daughter has asked me what can be done to lock off the cooker when she is not there.
Is there a nice domestic style isolator that can be locked off?
I can fit one of many industrial type switches but would prefer something that fits a standard double patress
Any ideas guys and girls??

I have done something like this but through a timer and contactor. You can run the circuit through a contactor by the consumer unit with the control circuit controlled by a key switch to which Mrs Dotty has no key.

I have done something like this but through a timer and contactor. You can run the circuit through a contactor by the consumer unit with the control circuit controlled by a key switch to which Mrs Dotty has no key.

I have considered doing that, my background is industrial control.
Just wondered if there was a nice neat, pre packaged solution.

Would be better to turn off the mcb on the consumer unit instead.

Thought of that, suggested it as a stop gap.
They are not really designed to be switched 4 times a day?
Can’t be locked off
Easy to forget

Was really hoping someone knew of a cooker isolator that could be locked off but it’s not looking hopefull.

Locking off will be tedious, simple key switch and contactor. I doubt there are any smart products on the market.

Buzz, that is the closest thing I have seen to what I am after.
Not perfect but it’s not a common requirement so it looks like I will have to go with what is available.

I wonder if this could be achieved with a contactor adjacent to the DB controlled by a Hive or Nest type unit which the daughter could operate via her phone if necessary ? Not the cheapest solution but it could work well I think.

You can buy a sonoff wifi smart switch of ebay for less then £5 which can operate a contactor via an app and internet connection
The only issue i can see is that if the oven has a timer that may need to be set to auto/manual mode after every so called switch on and off for the oven to work ?

I worked on an RAF base where all the cookers in the accommodation blocks were supplied through a contactor, controlled by the fire alarm system... ie fire alarm sounds, all cookers go off.

This came around because there had been a fire started on an electric cooker... not in one of the accommodation blocks... it actually started in the on base fire station!

I've got an electric hob to fit for one of my neighbours soon, because dotty old lady that lives there set HERSELF on fire by the gas hob!

On the matter at hand, I'd use a contactor at the db, using a lockable rotary isolator, panel key switch, or a simple emergency light test key switch.

Within the student accommodation at my works there is a cooker monitoring device. It looks like a webcam and basically if there is no movement near the cooker whilst it is on for a set period of time it will trip the circuit as a safety measure.

It only works on a fully electric oven/hob of course and I think the time is set for 1 hour, but this may be adjustable

Found this;

OR

Wandsworth Electrical manufacture some lockable boxes for their wiring accessories.

Reply to Cooker isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock