Discuss Cooker wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
When wiring a cooker how should this be done taking into account plastering work?

Ov it needs to be in its own circuit!

Wired from db to control unit near cooker, then from cooker to control unit!

Theclient wants the wiring done then plastering and the cooker fitting therefor
thewite from cooker to control unit wont be under plaster!

Is it okay to run wire from control unit to point behind the cooker! Then wait for plastering to be done then crimp the cable i run to behind the cooker to the cooker cable?

If not how do you get around this
dilema

You obviously know you can clip the cable to the wall behind the kitchen units ref method c

Out of interest what is the cooker pulling in Amps ? I take it you are self notifying or notifying the LABC ? I don't see any issue with a flex or TE from cooker control to point of use as long as it meets the regs..

J

Out of interest what is the cooker pulling in Amps ? I take it you are self notifying or notifying the LABC ? I don't see any issue with a flex or TE from cooker control to point of use as long as it meets the regs..

J

I was in a house the other day and the house owner had changed the cooker switch with socket and shorted the supply cable on the back box when he pushed the isolator back, he asked me to take alook at why the cooker and hob (seperate units) were no longer working. It was a blown fuse, but the cooker and hob were both directly wired in the cooker switch unit supplied by a 6mm cable and 45amp fuse. the cooker was 2.1kw and had a flex connected to this unit. I assume the cable was not any bigger than 2.5 with no seperate fuse!

The cables connected to the appliances need to have the correct current carrying capacity to the said fuse, but having both on one fuse is quite common I see this most times

was hat last post translated from chinese? sounded very much like an installation manual.

What cable do you use when you come out of the outlet plate and into the oven if you have used a 6mm twin and earth for the feed? Would it be a 6mm flex?

6mm flex or 6mm T/E.

What cable do you use when you come out of the outlet plate and into the oven if you have used a 6mm twin and earth for the feed? Would it be a 6mm flex?

Personally I use 2.5, 4, or 6mm depending on the demand of the cooker/hob fitted. If you install a cable buried in a wall then it should have some degree of over capacity for future upgrades. When you're fitting a length of cable which is exposed and easily changed if required size it according to the current (in both senses) requirement. I find that 2.5mm 3093Y is frequently adequate when the reference method is taken into account.

Reply to Cooker wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock