Discuss Corona Virus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Just a place for us to consider the impacts on our work and home life.

Are people worried?
lots of us travel around and interact with multiple people during the day.

for those of us that cant source toilet paper, I have some sympathy but is this just the tip of the iceberg??

no particular agenda, lets just see where the conversation goes.

I popped in on a 40yr old friend of a friend today.
She's an X cancer patient currently with pneumonia_Staying home!
( I discreetly washed up my tea cup after , and wiped down door handles with disinfectant wipes ) ...
I will be considering avoiding any old folk - Just in case ,
5 day incubation was latest mention.

I'm concerned about the possible impact on my work, most of my work is in theatres and other entertainment venues, plus in the summer I do power distribution for festivals and similar.
So with the possibility of a ban of large public gatherings I could end up very short of work very quickly.

First of all can someone please explain why people are panic buying arsewipe?
[automerge]1583882212[/automerge]
Is it just me or do the rest of you think that this is being blown all out of proportion? If you check official figures, on average 600 people in the UK die every year due to flu. 2008 - 2009 there were 13000 flu related deaths (swine flu). Why is the press hyping this one up so much?

Not sure it's just down to the press when cities in China are shut down and now look at Italy. I suppose it's because it's new and they've not found a cure yet and some folk are susceptible.
Older folks get a flu jab, don't they?

First of all can someone please explain why people are panic buying arsewipe?

Apparently, because of the size of the item and the way they are normally packaged, they are one of the largest noticeably visible items on supermarket shelves, and most noticeable when the shelves start to empty. Then panic kicks in. Our local supermarkets are starting to ration items like hand wash, toilet rolls etc.

Its curious why some didn't start using kitchen roll as an alternative. Loads left in our supermarket. Shame really, 'cos if they had, it would of probably blocked they toilets, and served em right.

I’m not overly worried. The Borders is the last to get anything.... running water, colour tv, 4G etc. They will have found a cure before it reaches here.

how somewhere can be the back of beyond AND the middle of nowhere at the same time?

Hand sanitizer is just alcohol, right? I’m going to wash my hands in vodka from now on, and keep an open bottle in the van with me:eek:
Might be cheaper than hand sanitizer.

if I recall, we did have the same heavy press coverage during swine flu, mad cow and Tsars. It will blow over eventually.
governments now are so scrutinised, they have to be seen to be doing something, or they get criticised for not doing enough.... even if it means shutting down a country, Italy.

my middle daughter is supposed to be going on a school trip to France. We will see.

yes, more people die from viruses we already know about. And once everyone realises this, they might calm down a bit.

I’ll not be stupid about this. I’ll wash my hands more often, avoid elderly people (sorry, mum) and stay away from crowds.

There are some scrotes in France calling on elderly or vulnerable people and offering to disinfect their homes against the Corona Virus, this is a scam to case the homes for a later burglary.

For information, currently, more people die from suicide than this virus.

Except that we don't seem to stock pile or insist that the government do something about suicide which is one of the greatest killers, to my mind this comparison brings the corona virus into its correct position in the scheme of things.

I'm concerned about the possible impact on my work, most of my work is in theatres and other entertainment venues, plus in the summer I do power distribution for festivals and similar.
So with the possibility of a ban of large public gatherings I could end up very short of work very quickly.
Maybe you could diversify into supplying power for field hospitals ??

are field hospitals for sick grass, or mad cows?
[automerge]1583946335[/automerge]
all this hype about washing hands everytime you fart. how can hand washing stop the spread of an airborne virus?

all this hype about washing hands everytime you fart. how can hand washing stop the spread of an airborne virus?
When it all dies down and forgotten OCD will be the next problem!

It's not airborne, mate...picked up from touch. We're all still learnin'...SO WASH YER SCOUSE MITS...

Reply to Corona Virus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock